View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Help. Just got a BW. I know nothing...
kirkharrod
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/10 - 10:49 AM

Comments: 0

A family member gave me a 2001 BW Dauntless. You can see all of the details in my Member's Boat Profile.

I know absolutely nothing about boats, and this boat in particular. I can work on my diesel truck engine so I am able to do mechanical work.

The boat runs great, except for if you try to put fuel in the tank too fast, it spurts back out. You have to fill the tank VERY slowly. I'm guessing the vent is clogged. I just got the boat this week so I have not gotten a chance to really go through it yet.

Can anyone tell me about common problems with this boat? Also, any modifications and maintenance that are generally done on this boat. I am reading everything I can on this site. ANY INFORMATION about what I should do as far as maintenance, modification, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I have a diesel F250 and I know a lot about it, and do modifications, repair and maintenance on the truck, so I want to be equally knowledgeable about this boat.

If you can point me to useful threads, links, etc. that would be great! Expect to see a lot of posts on this site by me! Thanks in advance for anything you can offer!

John Fyke
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/10 - 11:12 AM
Personal Page

Check out members personal pages for the same model you have.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/10 - 11:34 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I would also start out by buying an Repair manual for your Yamaha 150... Even a parts manual would also be of help when identifying or ordering parts.

hc803
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/03/10 - 12:29 PM
Personal Page

kirkharrod wrote:
A family member gave me a 2001 BW Dauntless.

Know that every member who read your post is cursing your luck.

I would expect to have multiple requests to go on rides, inquiries on when the next trip is, and friends you haven't seen in years come out of the woodwork now that their buddy has a boat he can take them on.

kirkharrod
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 7:30 AM

hc803 wrote:
kirkharrod wrote:
A family member gave me a 2001 BW Dauntless.

Know that every member who read your post is cursing your luck.

I would expect to have multiple requests to go on rides, inquiries on when the next trip is, and friends you haven't seen in years come out of the woodwork now that their buddy has a boat he can take them on.

Oh yeah, already experiencing that part! LOL!

Taking it out today for the first time. Problem I am having is I have to pump gas into the tank so slowly, or gas spurts back out. It would take 30 minutes to fill it up.

Mark Finkenstaedt
#6 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 8:56 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

!%&***!%....! Free!! I'll generously offer 50% more than you paid for it.

The fuel filling is a bit of a pain. I avoid the spurt back when the tank almost full by not filling all the way or just getting a feel fro how much I need. It's a small problem.

I'd really have a boat guy check the motor - computer check, compression check etc. I'm sure it won't cost that much since the boat was pretty inexpensive it'll give you peace of mind.. No point tinkering with an engine or investing in it if a beast is lurking within.

Also, nothing like giving rides to family and friends and end up stranded in the middle of the water. Towing such as BoatUS is a nice bit of assurance.

Your a lucky son-of-a-gun!

2001 18' Dauntless - 150HP 2010 E-TEC

John Fyke
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 9:28 AM
Personal Page

The fuel vent might also be clogged. Bugs like to nest in there.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

masbama
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 9:38 AM

I have a 1999 Dauntless. It is a good boat. I find that when filling the tank; it works better when the boat is level, not a raised bow and I fill it slowly. It is one of the quirks with this boat. Also-it is very 'prop/tilt&trim sensitive', for lack of a better term.

kirkharrod
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 7:43 PM

Thanks for the replies!!!

OK, I got a chance to take it out today. All the manuals were in the boat so I read thru them all. I found the vent tube and unhooked it from the external vent and blew thru it and found no obstructions. I left the vent tube unhooked and pointing straight up and the gas filled fine! It looks like the vent tube being looped up and around the external vent was the problem! I am going to re-route it, and eliminate the loop and it should be fine.

The boat ran great and seems to have no problems. I am fairly mechanical (I can do almost anything to my diesel F250), so I think I can handle anything on this boat once I learn it.

It's got every option listed in the manual, and a killer stereo with a sub-woofer!

Davidk
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 8:08 PM

Comments: 1

FYI....That loop is likely there for a reason. Often loops are put in lines to keep water from getting in or gas from getting out. I would suggest a loop stays there, just make it a big and unobstructed one. Also, check the vent that goes through the hull. Undo the line and blow through it from the outside.

WhalerDan
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 8:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I believe the vent tube is looped for a reason -- my guess is to prevent water from entering through vent screen. I'm sure someone here know for sure.

kirkharrod
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/05/10 - 8:26 PM

Davidk wrote:
FYI....That loop is likely there for a reason. Often loops are put in lines to keep water from getting in or gas from getting out. I would suggest a loop stays there, just make it a big and unobstructed one. Also, check the vent that goes through the hull. Undo the line and blow through it from the outside.

Thanks! That's what i figured it was for. It is just too tight of a turn the way it is currently routed. The vent hole in the hull is clear. The vent tube has a coil around it to keep it from kinking. I think I have room to make the loop bigger. I think I will also add a water separator fuel filter like on diesel trucks. It is listed as "optional" in the manual. I run my diesel powerstroke on waste vegetable oil (I have a heated 2nd tank just for grease and a separate heated grease fuel filter) so I have a lot of experience with fuel filters!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 5:37 PM
Users Online
Welcome
andresj
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,043
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,225,234 unique visits