View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Boat Paint Color
rwaddell
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 5:37 PM

Comments: 1

Have a 1983 15 ft CC and am in the process of restoration. I need to do some paint touch uup. The color is an off white. What is the actual color? Anyone know the name and source? My thanks, Robert

DownTonset
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/10 - 4:34 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

The original color designation for your hull was "desert tan". Whaler has produced several variations on this shade over the years, but I'm pretty sure the color was consistant for all Rockland-built "classics" between the mid seventies and the late eighties.
Unless another poster has a direct answer or link for you, I would suggest calling a big Whaler shop (Nauset Marine, e.g.) and asking them about codes and sources for paint.

1984 Montauk--1984 Evinrude 90

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/10 - 10:19 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Take a look at this article below and the Spectrum Gel Coat Patch Kit I used. Some years may vary like mentioned above.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=62

Jeff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/10 - 11:11 AM

Comments: 34

Lt Grey or Outrage Grey was used 17' and smaller hulls for the exterior color on the hulls from 1972/1973 through 1983/1984. Desert tan was used on the interiors on those years.

The Classic desert tan was used on both the interior and exterior what I would say was later 1984 and went until 1992 if I remember correctly. After that they still called the color desert tan but, it had a lot more red in it's pigment.

No matter what color you get from Spectrum Color or mini craft you will need tint it as the color from the factory fades at different rates on different boats due to varying rates of UV exposure. I use evercoat tints for this. I have Brown, Yellow, Black, White and Red tints for making all kinds of shades of tan. I mostly use the Yellow and Brown. White only if I am out of extra liquid gel coat. The black is voodoo. It is necessary at times to use it however, a tiny bit goes a LONG way in changing color. If you have to use it I only add tiny tiny bits at a time. Red is a rarity as well unless you are working on a post 1992 desert tan.

NEVER try to color match gelcoat in anything but natural day light. Harsh, high contrast days are ok but, not the best. An overcast day or, sun raise and sun set are better. Incandescent, florescent and high pressure sodium lights will always alter the true reflected light pigment of any color. If you mix color in these environments what looks correct could be off in actual day light.

If you are not super picky about matching it perfect I have found that the small rustoleum epoxy paint finish patch kits in the almond (desert tan) or biscuit (Lt Grey) colors for appliances work very well for quick fixs to small knicks and scratches. You just brush it on and go. No mixing, or solvents. They also sell it is large rattle cans. I used it on a project 13 I had with great success. Sure if you looked hard enough you could tell it did not match but that did not bother me on that boat.

Spray
Brush kit

Edited by Jeff on 08/28/10 - 11:22 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 2:18 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,102,038 unique visits