View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
seating for 17' montauk
scotty
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/10 - 11:45 PM

Comments: 0

I am just about done repairing my 17' montauk and not sure about what type of seating arrangement to go with. I purchased it with no RPS or leaning post. I will be primarily using my boat for free diving and occasional trolling here in Hawaii. Would love to purchase a used RPS but rather difficult to find used whaler parts here. Was thinking about going with a large cooler with cushions.....any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

DownTonset
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/10 - 3:22 AM
Personal Page

There are several options here--everything depends on what you are willing to pay, how you want your boat to function, and how you want it to look. My personal opinion is that the OEM RPS is hard to beat. It's great-looking, comfortable, sturdy, and it utilizes cockpit space very efficiently (an important factor on a 17' boat). Specialty Marine is selling RPS units for <$600.00 these days
http://www.specialtymarine.com/Boston-Whaler-Cushions-amp-Seating/Classic-Boston-Whaler-seating-1958-1999-c1/, and used ones pop up on ebay and craigslist fairly often. Of course, if you factor in shipping to Hawaii, you're looking at a fairly hefty price tag either way.
There are problems inherent with a cooler helm seat. First, If you want a cooler that will withstand the abuse of a couple of grown men bouncing up and down on it repeatedly with the kind of force that a Montauk in open water can generate, you're going to have to go with a high-end unit such as a Yeti, which will cost almost as much as a new RPS.
Second, if you have a cooler under the helm seat, you will have to find another place for the fuel tank(s). This means either locating them under the console, which limits storage and brings up safety issues (such as ventilation and battery location), or leaving them in the cockpit, which will eat up fishing/diving room and move a lot of weight aft.
Assuming that you are not overly concerned about maintaining the classic Whaler look, a leaning post might be the way to go. It would allow you to keep the fuel positioned and ventilated optimally while saving weight, cockpit space, and a few bucks.

Edited by DownTonset on 08/26/10 - 3:50 AM
1984 Montauk--1984 Evinrude 90

scotty
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/10 - 11:49 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I will try to see if I can get my hands on a used RPS here. If not I guess I may have to settle for either a cooler or leaning post. My fuel tanks are actually located in the front of the consle. The previous owner built a hinged wooden cover for them that also serves as a seat. Initially, I thought this setup was quite awkward but it seems to be working o.k. for now. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback.

Karlow
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 3:04 PM
Personal Page

There is an aftermarket revisable cooler seat. I have seen pic of it on line for about $300.
I'm not sure about the quality. The backrest does not look very impressive to me.
There is no storage in the backrest on the aftermarket version.
I'm sure someone on here has tried it out.

Karl

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 3:19 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

One of our Sponsors is now carrying the complete Reversible Pilot Seat and also has the Parchment material with Dark Brown Piping just like the original seat.
http://www.specialtymarine.com/RPS-Se...ories-c25/

At $565.00 complete that is a very hard price to beat even if trying to buy used. You can also choose to buy Z legs that are 3" taller than the originals. Nice.

I see they are also now carrying Console Rod Holder Cushions in Parchment with Dark Brown Piping at $109 which also seems to be a good price.
http://www.specialtymarine.com/Boston...s-p75.html

Click on the photo below for larger view.
Photo Credit: Specialty Marine

Joe Kriz attached the following image:

[41.45Kb]
Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/27/10 - 3:20 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 2:55 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,102,521 unique visits