View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Winterizing fuel comments needed
Yknot
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 7:28 AM

Comments: 0

Hello,
Winterizing built-in 39 gallon Aluminum fuel tank in New England.

What has worked well for you?
1. Filling tank up?
2. What chemical/additives to add?
3. empting tank out with no chemicals?
etc!

I would be interested in hearing what has worked well for you!

Thanks,
BP

MW
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 9:09 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

I don't have a built in tank but, my rule for fuel is ALWAYS Start with the "FRESHEST" fuel mix that you can. I use any old left over fuel in the lawn mower after properly fogging the outboard engine for the winter. I run "Sea Foam" in with my fuel mix (1 oz. per gallon) all year to keep the engine running clean, and prevent "Carbon" build up. Gasoline begins to break down after only 30 days (even WITH fuel stabilizer in it). I would empty the tank if I could.

Matt

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 9:29 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

I run using fuel stabilizer all year

In the fall I run the tank down so by the end of October it is 1/4 full. I add the proper amount of Stabil and fuel so the tank is full.

My tank holds 34 gallons.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

DWinter
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 2:17 PM
Personal Page

Please keep in mind that this is my opinion only but I now feel that you should try to get as much gas out of the fuel system as possible. If it's a fuel injected motor, don't run it dry, but if it's carb'd, You have less chance of water in the ethanol seperating and causing corrosion debris on the brass jets and pick-up tubes if there's none in the system. I'd go as far as draining the carb bowls.
I used to believe in the full tank way but now I think that empty is the way to go. My reasoning is, if the fuel left in the tank goes bad, It's a lot easier to get rid of a gallon or two than dispose of a tank full. Plus it's easier to "freshen" a gallon than hoping the stabilizer does it's job and trying to run 40 gallons of stale fuel. It's my opinion only, your results may vary. There are valid arguments for both ways.

Edited by DWinter on 08/23/10 - 2:19 PM
Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

jollyrog305
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 3:48 PM
Personal Page

I have changed my stance on this issue as well. For the past two years, I have filled up all three tanks (for a total of 300 gallons). So not only was there the cost of the gas, the cost for the proper amount of stabilizer and treatment was not cheap either. Then I started thinking about what if all that gas I put in was (going) bad to begin with - sitting for 4 months isn’t going to help and pumping all that gas out will probably cost a pretty penny as well.

This year, I will run as much gas out of each of the tanks, stabilize and treat. If I need to have the gas pumped out, at least I will only be looking at maybe 5-10 gal in each tank – which will be cheaper than 300 gallons.

I have also started “calculating” what gas amounts I will actually be using within a 2-3 week time period so I can add (and burn) the appropriate amounts as needed vs filling the tanks and (possibly) have the boat sit for a month or so due to unforeseen circumstances.
Just my logic…

JohnnyCW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 3:49 PM

I wish my tank had a sump area with a drain.

Derwd24
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 4:53 PM

Comments: 9

JohnnyCW wrote:
I wish my tank had a sump area with a drain.

Exactly... was thinking the same thing. Would make draining off excess water simple.

Dave - 1983 Outrage 22

CES
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 6:39 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

I keep as little fuel as possible in the tanks and open the bowl drain on the carbs to drain them. Gas doesn't last very long.

I just rebuilt two motorcycle carbs on Saturday because of old gas. It gelled up in the bowls and clogged the pick ups.

Edited by CES on 08/23/10 - 6:40 PM
Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

harleydmn
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/10 - 3:35 AM
Personal Page

Non ethanol gas is easy to come by now where I boat, so I will just fill up and stabilize

Tig
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/25/10 - 8:07 PM
Personal Page

I have always had good results from emptying the fuel tanks.

1995 Dauntless 15, Honda 50

awayland
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/10 - 4:47 AM
Personal Page

On my larger boat I have an 80 gal aluminum tank. Stabilize what fuel you have in there and run it so you know it's through the motor. Disconnect the fuel line and run the motor dry if it Not fuel injected, Also drain carbs. I then run a hose out of the bilge drain plug, hook it to the tank and siphon all the fuel out. The little bit of fuel left behind will easily be diluted with fresh fuel in the spring.

Corey G
#12 Print Post
Posted on 08/26/10 - 8:26 AM

Phil T wrote:
I run using fuel stabilizer all year

In the fall I run the tank down so by the end of October it is 1/4 full. I add the proper amount of Stabil and fuel so the tank is full.

My tank holds 34 gallons.

My system as well, less fuel in tanks means more condinsation for those of us who have Aluminium tanks. I just wish I could find a Marina that has 100% Gas it seems no one around here sells gas without Ethanol. Both systems seem to have merrits I think no matter what running fuel stablizer all year around is the way to go.

1989 22' Sentry 225 Yamaha SW

Gamalot
#13 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 5:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Ethanol is alcohol and alcohol attracts moisture! This is why fuel with ethanol breaks down faster than fuel with out.

I have one station by me that sells pure gas and he tells me that as of Jan, 1, 2011 a Federal mandate will require Ethanol in all gas.

If your tanks are portable I would say remove them, empty them and store them in a controlled temperature environment. I winterize all my 2 cycle engines by fogging them before storing and have had good luck so far. I don't have any fuel injected seasonal engines and would follow advice of the manufacturers on them.

Fiberglass tanks and many of the older plastic tanks can be affected by the ethanol as well as many of the older types of fuel lines and systems with rubber O rings.

I highly prefer to eat my corn or feed it to the livestock rather than to burn it in my fuel tanks! Just my personal opinion here but I feel we have been sold a bill of goods with ethanol and I have seen no honest benefit with it at all. I want my real gas back.

Gary

CES
#14 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 6:10 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Gamalot, I agree with you 100%. Not only is Ethanol seemingly doing more harm than good to peoples equipment, our engines are not running as efficiently as they would on real gas. My truck gets 1.5 miles per gallon LESS with Ethanol than it does with real gas.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Gamalot
#15 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 6:19 AM
Personal Page

CES wrote:
Gamalot, I agree with you 100%. Not only is Ethanol seemingly doing more harm than good to peoples equipment, our engines are not running as efficiently as they would on real gas. My truck gets 1.5 miles per gallon LESS with Ethanol than it does with real gas.

Yes, you fuel costs more and is less efficient and the refining process is more expensive with no proven environmental benefits. Then you have to add the costs of your food bill to the mix because the corn supply has been diverted. Al Gore is laughing all the way to the bank! The only good thing about this summer ending is that November is right around the corner and I HOPE for some serious CHANGE!

Back to the thread.

Gary

kamie
#16 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 4:30 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Gamalot wrote:
Yes, you fuel costs more and is less efficient and the refining process is more expensive with no proven environmental benefits. Then you have to add the costs of your food bill to the mix because the corn supply has been diverted. Al Gore is laughing all the way to the bank! The only good thing about this summer ending is that November is right around the corner and I HOPE for some serious CHANGE!

Back to the thread.

Gary

You should thank congress and George Bush who actually signed the farm bill in 2002 that limited imports of sugar, sugarcane and sugar beets. Since sugarcane is the most efficient plant to make ethanol out of, that effectively forced ethanol in the US to be made from by a less efficient process, there by increasing the costs of production. it costs Brazil about $.81 per gallon to make ethanol, it costs the US $1.05 and who do you think gets to pay the difference. You should also know that the tariffs on sugar keep a lot of prices high in the US, everything from processed foods to candy because the raw materials cost more than it would if the price of sugar was allowed to float with the world market.
I now return you to your whaler.

Gamalot
#17 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 6:58 PM
Personal Page

I don't much care who gets to share the blame, we are paying the price in too many ways. I'll be perfectly happy voting all these bums out so we can get back to enjoying or boats, our freedoms and our standing in this world! I'll agree with a Mosque at ground zero when a church is built in Saudi Arabia and Christians are free to practice there.

Again, back to the thread.

Gary

PJHarold
#18 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 7:49 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Wow... Please this is an informational site not a political forum!

thegage
#19 Print Post
Posted on 08/27/10 - 8:20 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Gamalot wrote:
I don't much care who gets to share the blame

Unless it's Al Gore?

Gamalot wrote:
I'll agree with a Mosque at ground zero when a church is built in Saudi Arabia and Christians are free to practice there.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but you appear to be saying that we're supposed to behave based on the laws/customs of other countries, and not on those of our own country?

John K.

MW
#20 Print Post
Posted on 08/28/10 - 2:05 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

The Whaler: Fried chicken Cutlet, Lettuce, Tomato, shredded Carrot, slice of Provalone, bacon, mayo, serve on a toasted hero, top with olive oil & Red Wine vinegar, and an icy cold "Coke" !

Matt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 4:11 AM
Users Online
Welcome
HR
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,025
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,103,460 unique visits