View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
gas tank
PaulBW
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/10 - 11:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Im going to build a new center console because the exising one is swiss cheesed from past installations and rot. The 12 gallon gas tank is in the console and i'd like to stick with the placement but not the size. 12 gallons is not enough for me. I looked at the Moeller website and saw the perfect dimension 19 gallon tank except that it is considered a below deck tank. All of the above deck tanks are not of my preferred dimensions. Is there a reason for me to not use this tank above deck? The only difference I can imagine is the color, (presumably for sunlight and not an issue inside of a console), and maybe I need to build in the vent tubes and possibly a fill neck which would make filling easier anyway. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Edited by PaulBW on 08/22/10 - 11:04 AM
1966 custom 16ft with 1999 Yamaha 90HP

DWinter
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/10 - 12:08 PM
Personal Page

Done with a fill tube on the outside of the console and properly vented, you could do a clean installation, that makes filling very easy. Keep in mind, thats a relatively confined space that could hold vapors in the same area where a spark is possible from the ignition or fuse blocks. I might add an extra fresh air vent facing forward to ensure there was ventilation if you feel it's not already open enough. Then again, you had a tank in there already so it's likely safe. I personally always try to error on the side of caution.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

PaulBW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/22/10 - 4:43 PM
Personal Page

Thanks for the reply Duane. As it is the whole back of the console is open with one shelf in the middle. I have given thought to keeping the new one vented that way as well. I would like to put the battery in it also but Ive been concerned about it being to close to the tank. Maybe if I create a sealed compartment that is externally vented seperately from the tank I would be safe.

DWinter
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 2:23 PM
Personal Page

I'd personally want a little seperation between the battery and the tank if it was mine.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

Davidk
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 8:30 PM

Comments: 1

Assuming that you have a standard wood center console, I can tell you that one can fit (2) 12 gallon metal tanks under there. There is just enough room for the filler caps and the plumbing. Two tanks side by side will give you about one inch width to spare (just enough but not too much) and it fits just behind the wood dowel rod. I have four of these tanks (restored) and painted in original red that I don't use. Personally, I can't see needing that much fuel. I run with two six gallon metal tanks and a 100HP 4 stroke Yamaha. I can go more than all weekend constantly at 4000 RPM and not use it up.

PaulBW
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/24/10 - 8:08 PM
Personal Page

It's not wood. I dont know where it came from, its presumably some generic console. I cant see myself forking out three grand for a wooden one although it would be nice. Im just going to build it out of thin plywood and glass it. It will be designed to suit my needs. The first purchase will be the tank and I'll build around it. Your four stroke must be pretty efficient because a weekend at my buddies fishing camp (which is about forty minutes by boat) will consume the 12 gallon tank and about three gallons from the portable five gallon that I bring. Granted, we do a lot of running around. I think I can make this pretty cool. I'll probably post pictures of it on my personal page at some point.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 27, 2024 - 12:08 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Crumfactor
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,024
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,100,697 unique visits