View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Need a cover for my 1985 Montauk
Northern Exposure
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/18/10 - 6:03 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I really need to keep all the tree crap from falling into her now that we are getting it cleaned up. Ebay has tons of covers supposedly for the Montauk 17 but I thought I'd ask here first see what others have purchased and how they like them.
This would be a full cover for the 17' with bow rails on.
Thanks for any leads and or warnings.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 08/18/10 - 6:21 PM

msd58
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/10 - 2:33 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 9

I bought a weather proof cover for my 17' Whaler that is custom made for my boat. I bought it from a company in Detroit. This cover is great. Draw string, tailored to fit 17' Mountauk with rails and built in motor cover too! I don't think I paid more than $300 !!! its designed to me trailerable too.

CPC
Canvas Products Company
2340 Lafayette West
DE, MI 48216

313 496 1001
www.canvaspc.com

Sometimes they are tough to get on the phone. Leave message they will call you back. Its the best cover I ever seen right out of the box quality on scale of 1-10 is a 10

Northern Exposure
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/10 - 10:35 AM
Personal Page

Hey thanks MSD. I'm in Michigan (couple hundred miles north of Detroit) so I will definitely give them a call.

luckydog
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/10 - 11:48 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

MSD, Which fabric did you choose?

luckydog
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/19/10 - 12:14 PM
Personal Page

Northern Ex,
My last cover was a Westland from Overtons. It was the Sharkskin material with the attached motor cover. I purchased it in December 2004 and it was on my boat 365 unti this winter when it finally succumbed to that freakishly heavy snow we had here in NY. The funny thing is that it had a five year warranty and gave up in year six.The fit was perfect and it seemed to breath pretty well although it did start to get some mildew on the underside when it sat with snow on it in the winter, That probably would never have happened if I had put a support pole to prevent water and snow from collecting behind the RPS.. I also never had a problem trailering it, even as much 9 hours to Maine. The Westland part # is BW1721SFG , the SF indicates the fabric type and the G is the color choice. Westland covers are sold all over , so shop around.

msd58
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/20/10 - 3:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 9

luckydog wrote:
MSD, Which fabric did you choose?

I am not sure what it was called. I think she said it was "weather guard". I even got a center console cover made out of the same material. Its nice when you just want cover that up when you are in the slip over night. I think I paid $300 for full mooring cover and and center console cover. I think they make these for Overtons but you save a buying direct

A Little Madness
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/10 - 5:19 AM
Personal Page

After trying several different types, our latest and best cover is a Cabella version specifically made for a Montauk. Ours is an 89 and with an extension pole in the rear to prevent sagging/water accumulation it's worked perfect, even through a tropical storm. Once you fit it tight, the straps just clip on/off so it's easy. See our per personal page for pic.

Chris & Dale Schnell
"A Little Madness" - 1989 Montauk 17'

Northern Exposure
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/10 - 11:04 AM
Personal Page

Hi Madness,
How long have you had your Cabelas cover? It's a tempting price $175. Does not seem to have color choice? I'm getting "cover madness" now as the ones recommended here can range from $175 to over $500 (Sunbrella fabric). I don't want to get a cheesy one that won't last but I'm not thrilled about spending $500 either. I suppose if it were going to outlast the $2 or 3 hundred dollar ones by a significant time it might be worth it. My wife is pushing for the Sunbrella because she has experienced the fabric on outdoor banners at a commercial location and says it holds up like iron.
??????????????????
I thought this would be one of the easiest things to get done out of all the "serious" restoration work I have ahead.

Thanks everyone for your inputs - I take each recommendation seriously. I just need to decide my price point I guess.

JohnnyCW
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/21/10 - 6:20 PM

Though my covers are custom made at a local canvas shop, they're Sunbrella and I get about 9-10 years out of them in the Florida sun. I could probably stretch em another year or two but they do eventually start to fade and thin at stress areas such as where they stretch over the bow rail and around the of of the windshield.

I just had a new cover made the end of last summer for around $500 though the owner supposedly gave me a $100 discount as a returning customer. I've had the same shop do all my Bimini tops and covers for at least the last twenty years. My Outrage still has the original Sunbrella Bimini which they made and installed in 1991. Though the straps are going to need replacement soon, the Sunbrella fabric is still in great shape and color fast.

I also have a cc cover and love it. Very convenient for when I leave the boat in the water overnight.

Edited by JohnnyCW on 08/21/10 - 6:21 PM

A Little Madness
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/23/10 - 9:16 AM
Personal Page

We've had the cover almost 2 years now and it's great. Last year she sat in the yard essentially all year while I had 2 back operations and recovered. Once the straps are fitted to your liking, they just unsnap, roll it up stern to bow, fold and throw it wherever you're going to store it (tool carrier on my truck for us). Reinstalling is just that easy as well. I forget what the warranty is (I'm thinking 5 years, but could be wrong) but at that price you can't beat it. Now that I'm back on the water, she'll spend more time with a wet hull than a dry one, so I'm looking for many, many years of service. Mainly haul out for tropical storms/"H" and if we're going to gone for an extended period. Good Luck.

Chris & Dale Schnell
"A Little Madness" - 1989 Montauk 17'

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 9, 2024 - 4:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Fman594
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,064
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,334,697 unique visits