View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1981 Outrage 20-My first weekend--Fuel tank questions
powdahbonz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/15/10 - 5:56 PM

Comments: 0

SO here I am...grew up on a Sakonet that was a screamer with an old 135 Mercury that we'd blast with ether..boy it screamed...and my wife completely floored me with a birthday gift of a 20 outrgae powered by a 175 Yamaha with 50 hrs. She's beautiful...and the boats nice too. After the first weekend on her, couple of things I need to address immediately. The plexi fuel window to the fuel tank is cracked and water will seep through. I quickly noticed this today in the 3-5 ft stuff we were in today. After reading some concerning discussions about fuel tank removal and what could lie beneath, where can I find a replacement cover and what should I prepare for in the off-season. The boat has not been in the water, obviously salt, in 2 years until this weekend. I'm not a fatalist but who knows how long it's been cracked. I talked with the previous owner, who is the second owner and he's had it for 10+ years. I can't smell fuel, although I thought it was odd that it seems to list to the portside with just over a half a tank. Is it possible that it's water weight down below?
I'm still in euphoria with my first boat of my own so try not to shatter me but I'd rather tackle this project sooner rather than later.
Glad to be aboard..her name is Dark & Stormy

coopgraphic
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/16/10 - 4:04 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Congrats on the boat. I have a 1980 Outrage V-20. Mine also had a cracked fuel window. Its a standard size inspection port and takes about 15 minutes to replace...fairly cheap too. If its any consolation, mine lists to the port as well. I know there is dampness in the foam but its a 30 year old boat...its to be expected. I have also seen diagrams that show the placement of the fuel tank and it does seem to sit a bit to the port side. Not sure if thats part of the cause but it might be. Not really answers but more of comparisons from a fellow Outrage 20 owner. Enjoy it...its a great boat!

-chris

Chris Cooper

powdahbonz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/10 - 12:43 PM

Thank you for the welcome-any suggestions on where to source the replacement fuel window? Where did you get yours? Also, on your Outrage, does your center console have a light post dead center? I have a hole in my console and I thought there was an annoying, eye-level light that used to be on Outrage's center consoles. Can't tell from many pictures.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/10 - 12:56 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Take a look in the "Part Photos" link on the left sidebar.

We have many photos of original parts and information on those parts along with possible availability and where to buy them.

1. Deck Plates
2. Masthead Light

I have a complete Masthead Light for sale.
Not perfect but works just fine.

coopgraphic
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/10 - 1:25 PM
Personal Page

Mine did have the masthead light but I opted to remove it. If you do, be sure to modify your sternlight to be a 360 degree light so you are legal. As far as the inspection port, I got mine through Hamilton Marine. I had trouble finding one that matched the putty color of the boat so I went with black. It looks nice and fit right in.

-chris

PS...Just saw where you are from. Funny thing is that I got my inspection port cover while on vacation in Maine when I visited the Hamilton Marine store in Portland.

Edited by coopgraphic on 08/17/10 - 1:28 PM
Chris Cooper

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/17/10 - 1:27 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

The original color was Khaki and they are still available the last time I checked.

We also have an article on the deck plates located in the Article link on the left sidebar.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...ticle_id=3

powdahbonz
#7 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/10 - 12:33 PM

Got the cover from beckson marine-they were the original supplier.

There are a number of things I have been searching for, mostly the Outrage canvas enclosure. Were the 18, 20 and 22 significantly different in measurements that these may be usable on my 20? Also, has anyone used newer model years canvas to outfit their older Outrage?

Joe Kriz
#8 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/10 - 12:36 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

The 20' and 22' were the same later on. Not sure about the older 20's...

The 18' is different sizes.

Check with Mills Canvas.
They are under the Sponsors panel in the upper right.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/16/10 - 12:36 PM

Phil T
#9 Print Post
Posted on 09/16/10 - 5:38 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If you take a look at the model specs (left sidebar) you will see there were 2 designs for the classic Outrage 20. The first generation was referred to as the Outrage V-20 and was produced from ~1979 till the mid '80's.

Keep this in mind when discussing your model.

I am just up the road from you.

Congratulations!

Edited by Phil T on 09/16/10 - 5:49 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

grahamh
#10 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 10:20 AM

powdahbonz-

I too am a recent owner of an outrage (86 18ft) and had the same concerns about water in the fuel tank compartment. I know there is some water in there for a few reasons - one, there is condensation on the clear plate two, i can see water and saturated foam when i left the stern plates.

I too, thought this meant a quick end to my tank etc. I think the water must be getting in a few ways. First, the tank cover (the large fiberglass cover) is not well sealed. As well, the deck plates are not well sealed.

I have been thinking about taking the console off and the tank cover off and really drying the tank compartment out this winter.

However, I am beginning to wonder if ANYONE has a dry tank?!?! Even with all of the plates well sealed etc water can still get in under the console - where the wires come up from the tunnel.

I have looked at every Outrage i can find in every marina in the last few months and they ALL have condensation on the clear deck plate (which - i assume - means they all have water in that compartment).

I was having some glass work done in Portland (yes, the one just north of you) by one of 'the best' guys around and we were talking about tanks in Outrages. He claims he has never seen a dry one and cant figure out why some last 30 years and some 5 years. He says stop worrying and just drive the damn thing. (His language was actually a little rougher than that).

BTW - he also says the only dry whaler hull he has ever seen was sitting on a showroom floor. one season in the ocean and it is 'wet'.

So I guess my questions to everyone here are these:

One - does ANYONE have a dry tank compartment and how do you keep it that way.

Two - should we really care? I mean, so far my 'wet' tank has lasted 25 years. Not so bad.

Graham

Joe Kriz
#11 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 10:48 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

One - Nope
Two - Nope

Many of us take the deck plates off in the off season to allow the condensation to evaporate as long as you have the boat stored inside.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/17/10 - 10:49 AM

PJHarold
#12 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 10:51 AM
Personal Page

How these old classics were cared for is the key to the tank's longevity. I solved the problem at least in my brain by shortening the new tank I installed to create a sump area where I installed a pump. You can see in pictures on my personal page. My boat had been used as a tender so it spent alot of time in salt water. I'm sure that had a lot to do with the tank's demise. Good luck!

grahamh
#13 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 11:08 AM

PJ-

I would do a similar pump if i get the boat take apart. I think whaler SHOULD have done that in the first place.

g

arthureld
#14 Print Post
Posted on 09/17/10 - 5:19 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 7

Joe Kriz wrote:
The original color was Khaki and they are still available the last time I checked.

We also have an article on the deck plates located in the Article link on the left sidebar.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...ticle_id=3

They are still available. I just ordered one.
Thanks Joe

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 9:29 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,278,033 unique visits