View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bow Locker Hatch on 1976 13' Whaler
rogerhoward
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/10 - 8:34 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 4

I'm in the home stretch on the (much longer than anticipated) restoration of my '76 13 footer. The only original piece I've kept - aside from the hull - is the bow locker hatch, as it just needed refinishing. Being a '76, it's the wide, skinnier hatch... seems to be solid mahogany, with a finger hole in it. A few questions:

1. When I got it, there was some cheap rubber stripping inside the groove in the locker - seemed to be used to cushion the hatch from rattling around, as well as provide some measure of sealing against water flowing in. What should I use to replace it?

2. I don't much like the finger hole - I was thinking of covering it with a flush-mounted popup stainless handle... thoughts?

3. There was a saddle eye strap, something like this: http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/woeimages/00001537.jpg - mounted on the underside of the hatch, and in the bottom of the locker... neither were in use, but I'm wondering if there was some kind of attachment between the two to serve as a retainer for the hatch... should I replace these, and if so what do I do with them?

Thanks!

gilgotes
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/10/10 - 10:18 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Roger,

I too am in the process of restoring my 1976 BW (11 footer), and have the same decisions to make. I am going to replace the cover with new mahogany. Here are my thoughts so far:

I decided against a sealing strip as it would hold water against the edge of the wood accelerating deterioration at the edge. At this time, I'm leaning toward clear rubber stick-on bubbles around the underside perimter that will raise the cover off of the rim and let water go through to the locker and drain out to the deck. I just have to get the right thickness so that the top of the cover is flush with the top of the locker.

Another (minor) issue for me is that I'm going to store the anchor in the locker and will need a cutout for the rope. I'll probably just cut a 1/4 circle in the corner of the cover. Was wondering what others do.

I believe that saddle eye strap attached to the bottom of the locker is for a hold-back strap/chain/small rope that attaches to the underside of the cover to keep it from slamming open.

Mike

Edited by gilgotes on 08/10/10 - 10:35 AM
1976 11ft. Sport, 40hp Evinrude

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 8:43 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.13 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,269,762 unique visits