View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
How do I get my 17' boat upside down on the trailer?
Karlow
#1 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/10 - 12:56 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I see a lot of people have done this. Short of a half dozen guys how i sit done?
I picked up a 17' sport in poor shape. It belonged to UCLA it was a sail boat chaser.
It's a 1990 hull that has had a rough life. lots of stress crack in gel coat on top.
Bad bottom paint, and some strange dents on the sides.
I pulled the consul, rub rail, and lights.
I still have to remove the towing ring and cleat from the front to get started.
How do you get that cleat off as well?

I should have it completed in about a year!

Thanks
Karl

rogerhoward
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/10 - 1:11 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 4

I flipped my 13' with the help of two friends, one of them basically spotting - granted, the 17' is bigger, but it's still just a matter of some muscle. I'm not sure about upside-down on the trailer, though - I pulled mine off onto some padded bunks I placed on the floor of my garage, so I can rework the trailer at the same time.

modenacart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/10 - 1:21 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

It took four of us to pull it off the trailer. I put 2x4s across the trailer to put the boat on. We then had three people get the boat on its side and held it there. I pushed the trailer next to the boat and laid it on the trailer. It wasn't all the over so we had to move it over a couple of inches to get it on. I wish we had taken pictures of filmed it, but we didn't.

If you want more information, send me a pm.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

flatheadfisher
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/10 - 3:03 PM
Personal Page

I threw a rope over a tree limb and pulled the boat up in the air with my tractor then slowly lowered it so it was upside down on the trailer.

It was one of those potential Darwin award moments but it worked...

1997 Dauntless 13 w/ 40 Mercury 2-stroke

bruser
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/10 - 3:15 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I flipped my 17 by dry launching it (rolling it off the trailer into the grass) then flipped it in the yard ( my son and 2 friends) then standing it on the transom and moving the trailer in front of it then lowering it onto the trailer with 2X4's across it. Not the most graceful but it worked.
Reversed the process to put it back on after the bottom was complete.

1977 17' Montauk, 1996 90 hp Johnson, Code Name "AMBERGRIS"

Karlow
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/03/10 - 9:35 PM
Personal Page

Humm, so I need three to four guys, a small boy, a large tree, tractor and some grass.
That's a great start. My first round of repair stuff showed today. Maybe I will start by repairing the rub rail area.

Any other ideas out there?

Bake
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/10 - 10:53 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

and beverage for the friends! I think you already get the idea that they are not as heavy as one might think. as posted above it does not take a lot of effort with muscle or mechanical advantage it should only take a few minutes. I actually tied a anchor rope around my 19 project in the middle. choking the rope to the far side and pulled it over with my truck. I used the manpower part to ease it down

Gamalot
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/05/10 - 5:16 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Karlow wrote:
Humm, so I need three to four guys, a small boy, a large tree, tractor and some grass.
That's a great start. My first round of repair stuff showed today. Maybe I will start by repairing the rub rail area.

Any other ideas out there?

LOL, I see you are in California and just want you to be sure we are talking about Kentucky Blue grass.

The tractor or a jeep with a winch and the beverages sound like the right tools.

Gary

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 17, 2024 - 1:07 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Shaggy
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,095
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,483,796 unique visits