View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Fasteners
SSCape
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/10 - 1:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Hey Guys. Does anyone know if there is a master list of the fasteners and finish washers. I kept most examples of everything when I disassembled the console and the reverse-able seat bench and I have diagrams that I got here (thanks!) but it's not very clear as to the sizes etc. Any ideas?

1965 Sakonnet.

sdespop
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/10 - 7:13 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Be nice to know what kind of boat you have. Redoing my interior on a 15' Sport, I used #10 ss screws throughout with finish washers. I also used 1/4 ss flat washers under the finish washers to prevent the finish washers from cutting into the wood.

SSCape
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/29/10 - 6:49 AM
Personal Page

It's a BW 1965 16'7" Sakonnet.

Like Joe Kriz's, which is insanely perfect. I don't think I can do mine as nice as his yet.

Gamalot
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/30/10 - 4:02 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I'm doing a full rehab on my 1974 Montauk now and feel your pain. I have removed just about all the stuff and saved the old stainless screws for sizing when I put it all back.
I have spent a small fortune on new SS hardware at Bosunssupply and have learned it is much cheaper to buy fasteners by the 100s than it is to go to HD or the local Hardware store and buy just a few from the trays they have in stock or not. One screw I needed 20 of were $.84 cents each and I bought 100 for $20 at the above supply house.

I'll end up with plenty of leftovers but we always tend to need SS hardware along the way so no big deal. I don't have a local marine supply store here so I have to do it this way and suspect the SS would be just as expensive any where when you don't buy in bulk as I am.

A size chart would be nice to have but I keep a good supply of wood screws handy and can match to them for the correct sizing numbers 8, 10, 12,&14.

Gary

SSCape
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/10 - 6:39 AM
Personal Page

Thanks Gary-- So Bosun Supply is the place?

I am held up putting my console and bench seat back together and in the boat now because I don't have the right screws/washers. It looks like I need #8, #10, and #12 of various lengths but I haven't seen where I need #14s yet.

Gamalot
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/10 - 1:12 PM
Personal Page

#14s are good to have for where #12s were and got stripped out a little. I usually clean the old holes out and fill them with epoxy. Then I drill a new hole and if necessary I use a fatter screw.

The fasteners I bought at Bosuns are good quality and reasonably priced IMO.

Gary

SSCape
#7 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/10 - 5:17 PM
Personal Page

Yes I will do the same but keep the #12 size because I was at Bosuns and I see now you need to buy 100 each and that's 5 times what I need. Maybe we should start a fastener co-op for other the Whaler Central guys. On the epoxy idea, I remember the old man using git rot on the stem of our 36' Pacemaker when I was a kid and he was an artist with that stuff. I am going to use epoxy to set 3/8 threaded rods into the bottom of the wooden windshield, and run those through the top of the console where I will tighten it down underneath with washers and nuts. It should be a good strong system, and it will fill the nasty holes left from when the previous owner removed the windshield, the cretin. At least he saved the windshield for me because I will have it looking good again.

Gamalot
#8 Print Post
Posted on 08/04/10 - 7:50 PM
Personal Page

Give Bosuns a call. Number is on the site and I am pretty sure they will sell the 20 you need.

Your idea of a fastener club or CO OP buy is good until you consider the ridiculous S&H costs we would all have to pay each time. I have many more of each size than I need right now but if you plan to be around boats for a while, they don't go bad but the price sure does go up. What I found is if I went to my local HD or hardware store and they had the sizes I needed it would cost just about as much to buy 20 screws as I paid Bosuns to buy 100. I think I spent close to $250 on screws but I can screw all day long and still have a few screws left over. :-))))

Gary

SSCape
#9 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/10 - 5:28 PM
Personal Page

Thanks Gam- I have my seat bench back together. My local West Marine had every screw, every finish washer so I was thrilled to bay .40,.50 or 60cents each. washers were .20. I tired them as a last resort because I find them too expensive so I don't go there much but to my surprise they had a complete aisle of nicely labelled drawers of stainless steel fasteners and I got all the oval headed screws I needed. Now I have to question the rod holders in the seat bench back because I have the stainless plates that outline the hole for the rod, but there were white plastic inserts in there when I got the boat, and that can't be right. I have to look at some pics and see what the original design was.. Thanks Gamalot.

Gamalot
#10 Print Post
Posted on 08/06/10 - 8:56 PM
Personal Page

Good to here you have a west marine close and found what you needed. I don't have that luxury here.

My seat back has chromed or SS metal tubes with a white plastic or rubber top cap. My center console had white plastic rod holders in the front affixed to teak braces.

Wish I could be working on the boat but instead I have to work when jobs are available that pay the bills. I sat idle for 3 months doing nothing before I got the boat and had two weeks to play with it and now I have 2-3 months of good work doing a complete home rehab. No complaints as this is what gets us through the long cold winters.

Gary

SSCape
#11 Print Post
Posted on 08/07/10 - 4:20 PM
Personal Page

I like it better without the plastic tubes I think. I feel your pain buddy but check this out: I originally posted my first restore message here in December of 2006. I sell real estate on Cape Cod and the market croaked right at that point so my Whaler sat stripped out and flipped over on blocks in my side yard until now. I was able to refinish all the mahogany parts because that's labor, sandpaper, thinner & varnish but I didn't have the money to buy anything I needed to replace on the hull, or really anything. Now I can, finally... and maybe that's a good indication that the economy is inching forward.
I just can't stand another summer not on the water. I'll go mad. The only big part of this I am intimidated now by is the final connections between console and motor. I am definitely hiring a mechanic for that part. So great to have Whaler Central too.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 7:56 AM
Users Online
Welcome
oddbald
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 17
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,051
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,269,029 unique visits