View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
planning the interior
rvschulz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/10 - 9:12 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

okay, i've convinced myself (emotionally) that the Whaler guys did the right thing with the interior of the 68 13 Sport i am restoring. i have priced the interior from our esteemed advertisers and would like comments from anyone who has not used them - ie. - you bought your own wood and cut it/finished it yourself.

additionally, this boat has the cable pulley steering system and i am not going to reinstall it - i will get a teleflex system for this - do you have a suggestion about which one you used ? need a steering wheel too ...

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/25/10 - 8:44 PM

CES
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/10 - 9:51 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

Mike and Nautical Lumber makes and sells an interior that will knock your socks off! He's a site sponsor so look for his banner in the top right hand corner of this web page.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

John Fyke
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/10 - 10:37 AM
Personal Page

The 1968 did not come in a SS model. You can easily put an SS in your boat. I converted my 1979 15' sport to an SS. I purchased the wood from Mike at Nautical Lumber.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

kamie
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/10 - 6:31 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

making an interior for a 13 depends on your skills. none of the cuts are especially challenging but i would suggest you make a pattern our of MDF before you started cutting expensive hardwood.

there are plans for all versions of the wooden interiors in the download section.

rvschulz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/10 - 8:56 AM
Personal Page

sorry i meant a Sport, not a SS ... however, i am curious about alternatives to mahogany. i am have 2 issues ... first i am somewhat conservationist so i am not going to use a wood that is seemingly going extinct. 2nd, i am looking to be cheap - not really sure what could be more expensive than mahogany ... but it's expensive.

so ... a starboard interior is not bad - is it as strong as wood in the same sizes > or will i need to adjust my dimensions for the seats or put another brace in ... thanks.

tedious
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/10 - 6:46 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

rvschulz wrote:
sorry i meant a Sport, not a SS ... however, i am curious about alternatives to mahogany. i am have 2 issues ... first i am somewhat conservationist so i am not going to use a wood that is seemingly going extinct. 2nd, i am looking to be cheap - not really sure what could be more expensive than mahogany ... but it's expensive.

so ... a starboard interior is not bad - is it as strong as wood in the same sizes > or will i need to adjust my dimensions for the seats or put another brace in ... thanks.

No, Starboard is not as stiff as mahogany of equal size - you'll definitely need braces or to change dimensions.

If you want cheaper, but still nice, you might talk to the Nautical Lumber folks about making you an interior in mahogany or sapele-faced plywood.

BobL
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/25/10 - 7:24 PM
Personal Page

Cambara and Ipe are two woods used as mahogany decking material and would be low cost options for making Whaler interiors. Ipe is more expensive and goes by the name of ironwood for its density and durability. Cambara is the more common mahogany decking material. Neither wood is an endangered species. Both are rot resistant and finish with a look very similar to the original wood used for Whalers. As decking material, they are nowhere near the cost of furniture-grade wood. A reasonably good woodworker could make an excellent Whaler interior with either Ipe or Cambara.

MW
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/10 - 1:54 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

Starboard is NOT inexpensive, I think that the "FUN" part about the smaller Whaler models is the fact that you can fix them yourself. If you can find the type of wood you want at a Lumber yard, they'll cut it to the exact demensions of your interior. You can finish the wood in a number of ways. It's pretty easy with just hand tools, and we can walk you through it. I'm a bit of conservationist myself but, remember that these 13' boats often save lives.

Edited by MW on 07/26/10 - 3:23 AM
Matt

Bake
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/10 - 8:28 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

first i am somewhat conservationist

Not to try to slam you, But wouldn't a conservationist be as concerned about the plastic ending up in a land fill?

rvschulz
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/10 - 11:03 AM
Personal Page

Bake wrote:
first i am somewhat conservationist

Not to try to slam you, But wouldn't a conservationist be as concerned about the plastic ending up in a land fill?

no, i won;t be getting rid of it.

John M
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/10 - 11:30 AM
Personal Page

Look at Specialtymarine.com. Talk to Eric, he was a great help. No one at Nautical lumber ever called or emailed me back. I looked at the cost of finished wood versus doing it myself; the cost is almost the same. What is your time worth to you? That is the question here.

John Lewis
1960 13' Sport / 30 Evinrude

CES
#12 Print Post
Posted on 07/28/10 - 1:03 PM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

John M wrote:
Look at Specialtymarine.com. Talk to Eric, he was a great help. No one at Nautical lumber ever called or emailed me back. I looked at the cost of finished wood versus doing it myself; the cost is almost the same. What is your time worth to you? That is the question here.

Really? Mike is usually very responsive. I'd give him another call.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

NauticalLumber
#13 Print Post
Posted on 07/29/10 - 11:14 AM

Comments: 1

John,

Im sorry no one got bact to you. I dbl checked through my records and found no reference to your call or email. It's not ofton a call or email slips through the cracks. But it does happen. I always respond to orders or questions whaler owners may have.

Regards,
Mike

rvschulz
#14 Print Post
Posted on 07/29/10 - 2:03 PM
Personal Page

the local lumber companies have suggested Spanish Cedar (?) does anyone have experience with this wood ? how does the strength and weight compare to mahogany.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 8:37 PM
Users Online
Welcome
corkybennett1
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,048
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,261,362 unique visits