View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
paint versus gelcoat
gsmith
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 8:12 PM

Comments: 0

After sanding hull all the way to the mat, which would be best paint or gelcoat. And could I brush the gelcoat on.

rogerhoward
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 9:14 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 4

I know it'll offend the sensibilities of some purists... Smile ... but I just put the second coat of Interlux Perfection (I'm shooting for 3 or maybe 4) on my interior and it looks way better than I hoped considering I've never painted anything like this before, and I did the first two coats solo without a helper to do the tipping.

$55/quart for the two-part Perfect, plus you'll need primer and thinner. It looks like I'll use about 3 quarts total (inside and out)... it feels hard, looks great (awesome color/shine) - though I could have prepped better, and I'm going to have to kick down some runs in the second coat.

After this I'd probably try my hand at gelcoat, but my first experiments with it weren't exactly successful and I ended up going the LP paint route just to get it done.

I know people brush gelcoat too, though for simple brushing or rolling you'll probably get better results with a paint like Interlux Perfection, Sterling, or Awlgrip. But then I've never gelcoated more than maybe 10 sq. inches.

DWinter
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 8:01 AM
Personal Page

Paint is easier for the part timer to apply and get good results. Spraying gel has some characteristics that can take some practice. I wouldn't have sanded all the way to the mat though unless I was trying to get rid of spidercracks though. Make sure you primer it properly before topcoating.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

modenacart
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 12:04 PM
Personal Page

I would prime with a heavy build primer and board sand at least the sides before you spray either paint or gelcoat. You will be glad you did when you finish. If you know someone that does body work, they would be good to talk to.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 1:17 PM

Comments: 16

Professionally painted Whalers can look very good, even beautiful, but it instantly makes them a renovated boat, with little true classic appeal to someone looking for a nice classic.
Any potential buyer would always wonder what poor shape the boat was in before it was painted.

Paint says beat up hull, most of the original gelcoat not restorable as is, and the cheaper cover-up solution. For lasting return on your investment and true value, re-gelcoat. A painted Whaler can never command top dollar, no matter how good it looks. It also doesn't not hold up very well, and the inevitable dings and scratches cannot be easily repaired.
I've seen some painted Whalers that look terrible 5 years later. If painting was such a great solution, the boats would have been painted as new!

I would never buy a painted Whaler, period, since I am only interested in true classics, not fixer-upper sweat equity specials. If you don't care about value and classic appeal, paint, and enjoy the boat for your own purposes.

rogerhoward
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 3:52 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

I agree with Finnegan to the extent that it really depends on what you want from your Whaler - a nice looking boat to use and abuse, or do you also want to restore it to sell to a discriminating Whaler(er)? In my case, I just want a nice looking boat and have no doubt I can recoup what I've spent on it (if and when), but don't expect to sell it to a collector.

kamie
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 4:03 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

either is fine and the nice thing is you have done the prep work for either.
Paint, pro - easy to apply, con you will be redoing it in a couple years, not as easy to repair.

gelcoat, pro, if you do a good job, it can last for 30 more years, easy to repair / refurbish con, lots of labor to get to the finish look.

With either you should practice on something other than your boat so you can get the feel of the equipment and the product.

you can either pay now, or pay later those are your choices.

Edited by kamie on 07/20/10 - 4:04 PM

John Fyke
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 5:36 PM
Personal Page

It's a coin toss. Paint is expensive but easy to apply. Gelcoat is cheaper but much more labor intensive. A quality paint with up-keep can last many years. Gelcoat with up-keep will last many years longer.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Gamalot
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 5:40 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

The major question I have if the boat is re gel coated is will the cracks come back and how soon?

All my experience comes from '60s Vettes which all had cracks and crazing and those same cracks came right back in a year or two.

Has Gel Coat been improved over the years so we can expect it to not craze again?

I would love to see a few pics of a BW that was re gel coated a few years ago or hear from those who have done it and if the crazing reappears in the standard places just like all the Vettes did.

Is the spider webbing caused by shrinkage of the GC or by some flexing at the stress points or some other issue that should be corrected prior to repairing the top coat?

Gary

Barryg
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 6:17 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Gsmith, you should try the gelcoat it is not to bad . My fifteen turned out very nice and I get alot of comments about it ( is that new ). Go with what Kamie said, do the practice area and get some confidence. Spraying is not hard if you use a little common since. Also hit the youtube alot of good videos about gelcoat.BG

CES
#11 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 8:49 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

I have experience with both a gel coated and painted hulls. Hands down, I'd try to re-gel coat over painting the boat. No matter how hard you try to preserve the paint by being careful while using it, the paint will still scratch and chip easily. Gel coat is much hardier and easier to repair as well.

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 1:06 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 15
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,231,362 unique visits