View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk 17 Help!
pdominguez3
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 10:26 AM

Comments: 0

so i have a 1983 boston whaler montauk 17 with a inline 6 merc 115. i bought this boat about a year ago. few issues: 1, the bushing around the steering pin where the motor pivots is shot 2, soft spot on the floor behind the fuel tank. the boat is set up pretty nice 10 rod holders live bait well etc. however i like to keep it looking somewhat original because my motor runs excellent and im in love with my whaler. im new to the forum and would like a few tips in general on what to do. also, im pretty sure that the foam underneath the soft floor is just soaked is there any way to maybe tap a small hole ini the rigging tunnel to get some of that water out? thanks for all your help ill have some pictures up soon.

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/19/10 - 11:13 AM

Gamalot
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 5:49 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

The first question that you did not ask but needs to be answered is how is the water getting inside the hull. Are your through the hull drain tubes in tact and sealed? Is your Center Console securely bolted to the floor? Are there holes elsewhere that could be allowing water to get in?

There are many threads here describing the ways some have tried to dry out their hulls. I am not confident you can actually ever completely dry a water logged Montauk with out cutting the deck out and leaving the open hull in a controlled atmosphere for a long time. Others will disagree but it is a completely closed environment between the deck and hull and getting enough dry air circulating in there is a challenge to say the least. I stood my boat on it's stern for 3 weeks with the tongue of the trailer 6 feet high and the foam was still wet after many days well in to the mid 90s.

Find the leaks first and fix them before attempting to get it dry would be my best advice.

Gary

modenacart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 5:55 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I fixed delamited foam by drilling holes in the area and injecting polyester resin in the holes. It will be messy so tape off a large area, larger than what you think you will need and then drill the holes. I put a 50 lb bag of chicken feed on it after I injected the resin and piled a bunch more crap on it. To keep the resin from sticking to the feed bag, I put a sheet of cardboard between them.

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

pdominguez3
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 7:35 PM

ok i think im gonna try and read a bit before experimenting however my old man just called me said theres a outrage 22 he's been eye ballin'. so the 17 just might be up for sale soon haha thanks for your advice guys.

pete

John Fyke
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 7:47 PM
Personal Page

modenacart wrote:
I fixed delamited foam by drilling holes in the area and injecting polyester resin in the holes. It will be messy so tape off a large area, larger than what you think you will need and then drill the holes. I put a 50 lb bag of chicken feed on it after I injected the resin and piled a bunch more crap on it. To keep the resin from sticking to the feed bag, I put a sheet of cardboard between them.

That doesn't make any sense at all.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 12:28 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,230,918 unique visits