View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1984 Montauk gelcoat patch paste
gbmoore
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 7:42 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Does anyone know of a source for a Whaler Lt Gray Gelcoat Patch paste kit for the stern of a 1984 Montauk? I can't find one anywhere!

Blackduck
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 8:25 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Boat should be all desert tan-

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

gbmoore
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 10:01 AM
Personal Page

I should have been more clear; the boat is titled as a 1984, however the best I can tell via the hull numbers it actually is a very late 1983 production-wise. The interior is definitely Desert Tan; I've got a Spectrum gelcoat paste match there for sure! However, the exterior is most definitely not the same, for it is much more white in color. I think I am correct calling this a whaler light gray, but I certainly stand to be corrected.

So, I guess I am looking for a source for the 1983-ish white looking light gray hull for a whaler Montauk.

All advice appreciated!

moretrench1
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 10:31 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Recently I had the same experience with Spectrum Gelcoat.
The "LT Grey" is the color you're looking for, although I agree it doesn't sound correct.

When I was looking for it in May, they only hade quarts available

Jeff
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 10:33 AM

Comments: 34

The LT grey (sometimes called Outrage grey) that both specturm and minicraft sell do not match the OEM color. There are a lot of reasons why.

With my 1976 I have the LT grey on the exterior of my hull. Because of the poor matching of these products I end uo having to custom mix the LT Grey raw gelcoat from a quart with tints from evercoat to match the Hull color. I then add have to mix it into evercoat gelcoat paste to create the necessary viscosity to fill holes.

Here is another posting I made elsewhere that explains the process:
I know many complain about the longevity of the small spectrum patch kits. They always seem to go bad in a hurry and at $30 with shipping it can be a killer. I have found a solution to the problem that seems to work well for me.

I have stopped buying the patch kits and just buy a quart of the straight / raw liquid gel coat. Since the Spectrum liquid products are never a 100% match use the Evercoat color agents to custom tint the Spectrum products to match the real gel coat color I am dealing with. I do this in large batches and store them in screw tight cans with 3m electrical tape over the cap. I mark the cans with what I matched it do so I know what to grab when doing a repair.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail...px?pID=157

When doing minor gel coat repairs as well as filling larger scratches I mix Evercoat polyster gel paste 60/40 mixed in with raw liquid Spectrum Gel Coat. 60 Evercoat and 40 raw gel coat. Since the Evercoat product is clear it takes the color of the Spectrum products easily and provides you with a lot filler with out running through a lot of the Spectrum product to do the repairs.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail...px?pID=104

Since your base product is in liquid from this also allows you to have color matched agents that you can load in a gun and spray if needed. This is a big plus.

Here are some images of the liquid gel coat and evercoat product. Step one get your liquid gel coat base and Evercoat polyester gel:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42...elcoat.jpg

Step two mix them together, add your catalyst and begin filling your holes:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42...oatmix.jpg

Even though a quart of the liquid gel coat is about $90 it lasts much longer in storage and as you can see a little goes a long way.

I have had very good success with this though others stated they had a problem with long cure times. I myself always give at least 24 hours of cure time before wet sanding.

Edited by Jeff on 07/20/10 - 10:44 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

gbmoore
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 12:42 PM
Personal Page

Could you please share which tints you use to reach Outrage gray?

Thanks for the great guidance!

Finnegan
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/20/10 - 1:03 PM

Comments: 16

Do not buy Spectrum Outrage Gray gelcoat. Their color code must be off, because it is NOWHERE near close.

I recently tried the Mini-Craft Outrage Gray color, and although not perfect, it is much closer, and requires less tinting. Minicraft is a lot more expensive than Spectrum, however, for the same amount. You will have to buy a qt of liquid. I think it was about $140.

Spectrum's Desert Tan is a reasonably good match.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 9:58 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,228,454 unique visits