View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1990 Whaler Restoration project
cj454
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 7:34 AM

Comments: 0

Hi All, I hope this is the correct place to post this. If not I apologize in advance and may be a Mod can move it to a better place.

July 16 2010
1990 11.4 ft Boston Whaler Restoration Project

I am starting this page to keep track of my latest project. I am restoring a 1990 Boston Whaler 11.4ft skiff.

This boat came to me from a friend who lost his job and his storage for the boat. I was holding it in my back yard for about a year trying to get him to sell it to me. He decided to move out of state and so finally money changed hands and I got the title. So it is now mine to restore.

I was going to sell it out right and see if I could just make a few bucks on it to cover some costs but I decided to work on it this weekend instead.

The boat is not in overall bad condition after years of sitting. They have not taken a big toll on it. It was stored under a cover but was partial dismantled when I got it. I have been searching the net to try and find pictures but so far cannot seem to find any good detailed ones. I basically have a big puzzle at this point.

So after fixing the bad wheel on the trailer I pulled it out from the weeds in my back 40 and move it to the side yard to work on it.

I was on call for my job all weekend so could not go far from home. It is amazing how much you can get done in such a short period of time. Over the course of Sat/Sun in between work issues I dismantled everything from the hull and inventoried my parts. I will need to purchase/fab some as it looks like its about 80% to 90% complete.

I hope this page helps others that want to restore a Boston Whaler. If you have any questions or any good info, pictures of a Whaler please feel free to email me.

I will be documenting my progress with lots of pictures. Here are a few of how it looked when I got it and some of the parts etc.

Parts inventoried:

I got this with a hand full of parts.
2 seats
1 8Gal fiberglass gas tank that goes under the seat, but is removable to filling. This was an option I have found out.
Steering wheel.
New White Bimini top.
Dead battery and battery box
Rotten hatch covers to be used as templates for making new ones.
Various cables and running gear.
Various screws and things.
Bow and stern light.
Anchor

Things I know I am missing:
Key to engine. Not sure but I hope Johnson can get me one or I can get one locally.
Progress made to date:

2 Trailer wheels replaced.
Boat moved form weeds.
All running gear stripped from the boat.
All molding stripped from boat.
All hardware of any kind stripped from boat.
Assessment of the damage under the rub rail and various other locations.
Some minor sanding done to damaged areas.

Whats left:
Naked hull.
Engine in storage to be address once the hull is redone.

Plans:
patch all screw holes and get ready to paint with Emron paint. Not sure who can do this locally for me but I will do some research.

I may just paint it white like it is or I may paint the inside the Boston Whaler Blue color. Depends on cost.

Trying to stay on a budget as I will be selling the boat once it is complete. I really don't need it, just wanted to restore it and pass it on to someone else to enjoy. Would make a good boat for some kids to go exploring or to tow as a tender to a bigger boat. Price will depend on how much I have to put into it. If anyone is interested at any point in the project I will stop work and sell to them.

Captain Joe (CJ)

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u3...er%201990/

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/21/10 - 10:29 AM

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 10:38 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I guess you missed the part where we do not allow outside photo image linking in the forums.
You can view the Code of Conduct here and read about images:
http://www.whalercentral.com/viewpage...age_id=118

Your link to your entire album above is enough.
If someone wants to look at your photos, all they have to do is click your link.

cj454
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 11:39 AM

I am sorry about that. never meant to cause a problem. Most sites let you link photos.

NTxWhaler
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 12:19 PM

Comments: 3

Good luck cj454....

ioptfm
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/21/10 - 1:10 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Just setup a project page and you can share and keep up with the progress that way

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

cj454
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/10 - 1:38 PM

ioptfm wrote:
Just setup a project page and you can share and keep up with the progress that way

i will have to look into how to do that.,

Currently I am making good progress on it.

but what i am looking for now is pictures of boats that are bottom painted. I want to see how to do it. Ie how fare up the bow I go. and how far up the stern etc.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 4, 2024 - 7:58 PM
Users Online
Welcome
corkybennett1
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,048
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,260,908 unique visits