View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Newbie Whaler Wannabe question
Bergermeister
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/10 - 3:38 PM

Comments: 0

Hey Everyone,

I'm finally ready to buy my first boat and would like it to be a Whaler. I live up in New England (Massachusetts). I was told by a guy at a boat show that I should drive down to Florida and buy my boat there as there are so many boat dealers that I will save thousands of dollars vs. what folks pay up here since there are not so many dealers.

Is this true about the huge savings?

Actually as a newbie, I would like to buy a boat thats just a few years old and around 20-23 ft as I would have to tow it. Slips up here are very expensive and very hard to come by. I will be using the boat for diving and towing the kids around on tubes.

What can you experienced guys tell me?

Thanks so much!

B

John Fyke
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/10 - 6:28 PM
Personal Page

You should consider the condition not the location. Many salt water boats have too much corrosion on the motors. You may get lucky as I have but the search is long and hard. Don't think for a second that plentiful will save you money in the long run. It won't. Look for something that is clean and have it surveyed.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

ioptfm
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/10 - 6:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Some of the best advice anyone can give is to be patient and wait for the right one to come along. Don't be overly anxious and make sure you don't make a compromise just to get a boat. I would constantly search Craigslist, Ebay, and Boatreader and even then when you find what you think you want, as John says, get it checked out.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

dburton
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/10 - 6:48 PM
Personal Page

If you drive to Florida you will be too psyched up to make a good decision. Buy regionally, there and back within a day.

Take a look at a 22' Dauntless or Ventura. They are great boats and can be bought very reasonably compared to 2-3 years ago.

Mike-Conover
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/15/10 - 7:23 PM

Lots of good advice in the comments so far. Patience is the most important and at the same time the most difficult aspect of your search. My wife still reminds me that when I found my Montauk I was almost bidding against myself because I was so excited about the pristine fresh water boat I found. Keep cool...

The right boat for you...? Think about how / where you will use it? How many passengers? Fishing, cruising, skiing, etc.? Lakes, harbor, ocean? What vehicle will be used to pull your boat and trailer?

Personally, I am a big proponent of buying a used vs a new boat. Let someone else take the big depriciation hit. I am also a big fan of the older classic Whalers vs the new ones. The 17 Montauk is a nice size for a first boat and one that will be trailered.

Gamalot
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/10 - 3:54 AM
Personal Page

I am up here in the NE, NY and there is no shortage of nice whalers for sale in our local CL.

I don't care where your boat will be used but finding one that has been strictly used in fresh water is a major plus as far as the motor is concerned. How a boat has been treated and maintained is usually pretty evident at an in person inspection and I would never consider buying any boat sight unseen such as at on line auctions. It is considerably much better to take a test drive and see for yourself what you are getting for the price.

One thing I have seen that does tell a bit about the economy is most of the Whalers I see on the CL ads are still there and still available so it sure is a buyers market and negotiations should be wide open with willing sellers. I use Craig list search tempest and have a 250 mile radius set which includes your area and mine and there are many nice fresh water Whalers right here for sale. Pick a style/model and the size and go searching and be ready to take a few rides to check them out.

Good Luck

Gary

rclynchjr
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/10 - 9:12 AM

I lived in NY for 30 years, and the past 20 in Florida. As everyone has mentioned, it takes time to get the boat you really want. It took me 4 years to find the whaler I ended up buying. It was worth the wait. Also, remember that the boats in Florida are in the sun and salt for 12 hard months a year. The boats up north are only used for a few months a year, then put away for 9 months. I picked up a 17' SS and it's a perfect size for skiing, camping, trailering, storing next to the house, and most importantly, since it is your first boat, it is easy to manuver. Your kids will love to drive it also. In a few years you will have your bigger boat, and the kids will have the whaler. Good luck.

ioptfm
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/16/10 - 6:45 PM
Personal Page

I almost forgot and my wife reminded me. When I was looking for mine we found one on the Gulf Coast of Fl about as far away from here as you can get and still be in Fl. After looking at pics the Seller sent me we drove down to pick it up. When we got there it was a piece of junk and noting like the photos. I was excited and temped to overlook all of the shortcomings and buy it anyway but thank goodness I didn't. It was a long disappointing drive back home, but the very next week I found exactly what I wanted and it was only 50 miles away. I guess the moral is to look in your own back yard first.

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

K2Indy
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 7:24 PM

Hello; Look at a 23' Dauntless. You might be able to find a 2008 on a dealer lot and get a decent bargain. The 23' Dauntless, is a terrific Whaler..I own one. But, beware, if you are going to be in chop 3' or greater, think about an Outrage. If you will be on chop of less than 3', the Dauntless will suit your needs. Make sure you get the 250 Verado. Pulls skiers "up and out" with great ease.

Cheers, Kevin

MW
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/19/10 - 11:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

All GREAT suggestions, and well thought out. Do your H.W., stay on the hunt, ask question's, talk to other boaters (just cause, they don't have a Whaler does'nt mean that they don't know of one for sale), Bait shop's, tackle shop's, Wal-mart, marine stores, engine shops, say it loud in a diner, Craigslist, etc.. Have the CASH ready because, when a good Whaler goes up for sale, there's only two types of buyers left, "The quick, and the dead". You'll find one, and you'll be better educated to buy it.

Matt

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 4:09 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,234,850 unique visits