View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Resto of 1969 Sakonnet
Roverguy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/10 - 5:21 PM

Comments: 0

My dad passed away in Feb & I have inherited his 1969 Sakonnet that we bought in 1970. I remember going to look at the boat, I was probably 13 & the guy pulled it out of his garage with his lawn tractor. It had about 20 hours on it. It looked like it came off the showroom floor. It had a Bearcat 55 (4 stroke) and Holsclaw trailer. We paid $2300 for it!

Anyway 40 years later 3 motors and a lot of great memories and it is in need of a hull resto. My dad had it fitted out for serious Lake Trout fishing with electric down riggers and enough rod holders to make it look like a porky pine. It saw 10 years of use trailered and fishing on the Long Island Sound & the rest of it's life on a lake in the Adirondack mountains.

The mahogany is in pretty tough shape and the Gel Coat below the water line is a spider cracked.

My plans are to make it a clean looking boat that will be bottom painted and moored in the Ipswich Bay in MA.

A local boat repair guy that my mechanic recommended came by to look at the boat the other day.

I have a quote for the following:

(I will provide a bare hull for him to flip over and work on at his shop).

Option 1

Fully grind gel coat below the water line.
Apply 2 coats of West System epoxy resin.
Prep and apply 5 coats of Interprotect barrier coat.
Apply 2 coats of Micron Extra bottom paint.

Total for Option 1 $2,800.

Option 2

Only remove badly damaged gel coat below the water line.
All work the same as above.

Total for Option 2 $2,400

Prep & Prime topside (Out side of Hull)
Paint with Awlcraft.

$2,200.

I plan on doing the interior my self.

So, any thoughts on approach & price.

Sounds like a bit of money, but I know he was slow & had an empty bay, so I think there is some room for negotiation.

Please do not recommend I do it my self. My 87 yr old mother is living with us and that is near a full time job..

Edited by Joe Kriz on 07/08/10 - 6:25 PM
Gary Hamilton
1978 Montauk; 2013 90 E-TEC

mtown
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/10 - 10:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Hope you don't mind me jumping your thread. I was just going to post a similar question, but I do plan to do the work [mostly] myself. Mine is a 1964 16' 6" owned by me since 1980 or so. I plan to re-power over the winter and wanted to do something nice for this boat that has been great to me. I purchased epoxy resin from a local supplier and plan to have the old paint soda blasted and then I want to flip the hull and apply the epoxy. MAS epoxy tech dept says just apply two coats of the resin within 48 hours of each other, the guy who sold the epoxy says that some fiberglass cloth is necessary as the resin by itself will crack after a couple seasons. I keep the boat out of the water, so it will not be bottom painted again. It has all sorts of old paint now, above and below the waterline which the soda blaster says will be removed. Soda does nothing to gelcoat ect. which is chipped and rough. My issue is how much grinding and prep to do to get a good bond for the new resin.Barrier coat is something I read about here and elsewhere, I assume it is similar to gelcoat [waterproof] unlike the fiberglass beneath.
In response to your question about price and process, the prices seem fair to me. If you feel comfortable with the person quoting the job, it seems best to go with his recommendation based on the boat and your planned use. Keep in mind that when they start grinding, stuff might become apparant that will change his opinion.

NauticalLumber
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/10 - 12:18 PM

Comments: 1

Roverguy,

Call Metan Marine Restoration Near Boston. Also a site sponsor

Mike

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 2, 2024 - 11:52 PM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,229,801 unique visits