View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
fuel tank issues!!!
jamesfm34
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/10 - 5:14 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have a 1985 Montauk with the factory 90 evinrude motor is in great condition has very low hrs and boat has been taken very good care of. When i bought it from a friend he ran it all the time for the 2 yrs he had it and it was a great boat stainless rail polished teak oiled blah blah (found out later it was everyother weekend for 2 minutes or so earmuffs in the garage) and 2 times in Matagorda bay. So to the issue when i purchased her thinking i could fill her up and run i did just that took her out to the lake for couple hrs just to run her she ran pretty good for the most part. I brought her in flushed her out and everything was good and the following weekend went to get things together to go to lake to take fam out and ran rough got to lake wouldnt run took her to the shop he told me the carbs needed to cleaned and gone through he said the old gas that was in there had set up when i ran it it all broke loose and sucked in and cloged things up so still not being able to get a good running or even a line in the water due to engine problems after going through time and time again adding inline filters changing fuel lines ditching the VRO system going to the fuel pump he says i keep ending up with water in the tank and it stays in my shop not rained on or in sun he suggested i get a new tank. Right now i have the moeller 26 under the leaning rest he suggest i go with 2 12 gallon moellers for easier handling i was thinking of going back with a new 26 but just curious what suggestions anyone could give on what tank to go with any help would be greatly appreciated!

John Fyke
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/10 - 5:19 PM
Personal Page

If you have a spare tank run it on that with fresh gas and see if you have the same problems.

John Fyke
Re-Fit or Reef It
1979 15' Sport with Super Sport conversion and 70hp mercury.

jamesfm34
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/10 - 5:23 PM
Personal Page

When i left the shop the last time he had it on a spare tank it ran great im just stuck deciding what tank i should go with the 2 - 12 gal or the single 26 gal

Mike-Conover
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/10 - 6:28 PM

I've got 2 tanks on my Montauk... a 6 and a 12 gallon. When it comes right down to it, I think there are a you factors when considering the right configuration for you. I'm going to replace them both with 2 tanks both 12 gal, wghich is right for me. I'd suggest you think about the following:

1) How / how often do you re-fill your tanks? I assume you must fill the tank (26 gal) in your boat as it would be far too heavy to handle full. If you refill from smaller gas cans, there is always the issue of spillage no matter how careful you try to be. Of course, if you refill from a pump or pump-like set up, then the neatness factor is not as big an issue. Attention would then turn to how much do you use the boat and, therefore, how frequently do you need to fuel it.

2) Two tanks do always present you with the option of another tank to try if, for some reason, you encounter a contaminated fuel situation. If you have one tank... you have one tank.

3) If you have not yet installed one, you should probably add one of the new cartridge style filters for preventing the water in fuel problem. The introduction of blended fuels raises the prospect of water in fuel.

4) Finally, I've always used an additive in my 90hp Evinrude for prevention of carbon build up. It is not that expensive in bulk and it has prevented me from having any engine problemsw for over 25 years... (knowcking on wood).

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/08/10 - 6:38 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

jamesfm,

That decision is entirely up to you....

There are pros and cons for both.

Myself, I always preferred two 12 gallon tanks.
1. Easier to manage in an emergency
2. When one ran dry, I knew I had enough fuel to get home on in the other 12 gallon tank.

However, have you looked in the "Part Photos" link on the left sidebar about fuel tanks.... ????

There is an option for the newer 24 gallon White fuel tank made by Moeller....
http://www.whalercentral.com/photogal...hoto_id=68

Do yourself a favor.
Look at all the photos of original and replacement parts that are available in the "Part Photos" link on the left sidebar... That link has a lot of information, along with part numbers, manufacturers, and where to buy these items...
Anyone that hasn't looked through all those photos is just not helping themselves learn anything.

jamesfm34
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/10 - 9:41 AM
Personal Page

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Mike what additive do you suggest i have been using seafoam and he just installed a water fuel seperator for me so im hoping that will do the trick. Joe i have looked at the site and i wrote down the part numbers i really like the white 24 gal because even though they are fuel tanks when you have a red tank it just stands out thank for your help...

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 7:33 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,237,346 unique visits