View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Dauntless versus Outrage
RickCC
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/10 - 7:02 PM

Comments: 0

I've owned my Ventura for ten years and do most of my boating in Cape Cod Bay and in Florida near Jupiter (I truck the boat down to FL for the winter). I'm thinking about a new Whaler and have looked at both the Outrage (22 or 25) and the Dauntless (23). Most of the time I'm fishing and the rest of the time I'm pulling waterskiers or a tube or just cruising.

Here's my questions...

Here on Cape Cod Bay, my boat is on a mooring and sits on the sand at low tide, so I'm always desperate to get out as quick as possible as the tide comes in for better fishing, so less draft is better. But, we also get pretty strong west winds that will kick up 2-3 footers that I have to plow through to get home.

Will the Dauntless handle 2-3 footers as well as the Outrage? And if it gets worse than that, let's say 4-5 footers? Will one boat be drier than the other? The Ventura is a great boat, but I'm usually soaked by the time I get in.

Looking for opinions from Dauntless and Outrage owners.

Thanks from a newbie to the site.

HarleyFXDL
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/10 - 4:51 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 30

I'm curious, have you consulted with your local Whaler dealer?

Kevin
1988 11' Super Sport, 1987 Johnson 15hp.
If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
"Vegetarian - old Indian word for bad fisherman."

themclos
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/10 - 5:55 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Rick,

What year and size Ventura do you have?

I ask because of your comment about being soaked by the time you get back. Recent vintage 21 Ventura's are well regarded for the ride and capabilities.

What size Dauntless or Outrage are you considering?

Dan

Dan
1986 22 Outrage Cuddy, 2002 225HP Optimax

RickCC
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/10 - 7:35 PM

Yes, I've talked with my local dealer. His input is that I could go either way but that the Outrage will handle foul weather better.

I'm looking at either a 23 Dauntless or a 22 Outrage.

My 21 Ventura is a 2000 model. Great boat but 2-3 foot waves and a 10-15 knot wind means spray in the face (at least part of the time!),

themclos
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/10 - 9:53 AM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 3

Given the conditions you describe, I would go with the new 22 Outrage. It is better designed for the conditions you describe.

I think the Dauntless is well designed for family crusiing, but will not handle the chop as well as the Outrage.

Since you are looking at new, are you able to sea trial both boats?

Dan
1986 22 Outrage Cuddy, 2002 225HP Optimax

RickCC
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/10 - 6:17 AM

I hope to take both out, but I'd like to take them out in the chop I run into. Ironically, it's been been a beautiful summer so far here on Cape Cod so the most I've seen so far are just rolling 1-2 footers. So I think the challenge will be to get sea trials on days I'm off work and here and the weather cooperates. (As always!) Thanks for your inputs.

I'd love to hear from any Dauntless owners about your boats and have they handle different sea conditions!

Tig
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/10 - 6:54 AM
Personal Page

I have a Dauntless 15 so it's a very different boat than a 23 would be, but I'll share my impressions since you asked for Dauntless owners.
I'm confident navigating 3-4' seas but it was not made for that, so mother nature dictates the pace. The only spray issues are with a cross wind or following wind which blows spray back into the boat. We stow rain gear for those days.
A 22 outrage being heavier (than my boat) and having more dead rise than a Dauntless, will no doubt, cruise faster and smoother in choppy conditions. I would expect that to result in less blow back into the boat.
I was tempted by the outrage but I did not want to step up to a larger boat. On the rare occasion that I find myself facing real rough water I have plenty of safe harbor options. Once the waves get to 2' it's not much fun to fish anyways because of the wind.
It's funny about the test drive weather. I wanted a nasty day also but ended up with picnic weather. Smile

Edited by Tig on 07/10/10 - 7:01 AM
1995 Dauntless 15, Honda 50

DWinter
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/10 - 4:00 PM
Personal Page

I've driven them both in fairly rough water (Chesapeke Bay chop) and the Outrage definately handles the chop better. But as mentioned above, the hull design is different. More freeboard so it's a little safer for passengers, especially little ones and a steeper deadrise to knife thru the chop. The 23 Dauntless is a super nice boat also and really fast with a 250 Verado on the back and will tow tube and skiers like no tomorrow. It will snap your neck back if you slam the throttles home. On calm water we trimmed it out and were passing 50 mph in what seemed like a few seconds. Actually I think it was. It also has the factory installed option of a ski pylon. If you don't mind blasting from wave top to wave top, It will go in a 2 ft chop. The Dauntless does also draft less but off the top of my head I forget how much.The Outrage is a little drier ride but anyone who tells you any center console in this size range is a dry ride is a salesman, not a boat driver. Either boat will easily take more punishment in the soup than your body can withstand. Believe me, I've done it. And as with any Whaler, it's solid as a rock. No hull thumping and straining like you feel on any other production boats, Bar None.

You've got a tough choice on your hands but either is a good one. i wish I had to make this difficult decision myself right now. I'd probably chose the Outrage for the rough sea handling abilty and for fishing, but there's no doubt I like playing with that sports car speed and acceleration of the Dauntess

Edited by DWinter on 07/10/10 - 4:10 PM
Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 3, 2024 - 4:46 AM
Users Online
Welcome
3dhomer
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,044
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 398
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.25 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,235,205 unique visits