View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Comments on boat please
Morgon64
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 2:35 PM

Comments: 0

My husband and I are thinking about a project Boston 17-19 foot or so. I found this on Craigslist and want to look at it for the hull. Any wise advise or special things to look out for?

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/boa/1811491544.html

Thank you in advance if you have any comments for me.

scrimshaw
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 2:55 PM

Look for another boat !

Morgon64
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 3:25 PM

Too old? Too expensive? (I wouldn't pay $2600! I was hoping someone would tell me what a good offer would be just for the hull. We have a motor to put on it.). If it was anything but a Whaler that I can actually go look at and check out, I wouldn't bother.

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 3:43 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The boat is NOT a Montauk.

It has no bow or side rails which aren't cheap to replace.
The motor is no good according to the ad.
It has a homemade console that probably should be replaced. Consoles are not cheap.
What is the small wooden box on the transom? Has the transom been cut there?

Basically all you are getting is a bare hull and a trailer and who knows about the trailer.

You would probably be better off getting a turn key (ready to go) Nauset or something similar for probably less than trying to fix that mis-advertised Whaler.

Morgon64
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 4:25 PM

Haha you had me for a minute with the NOT a Montauk thing. Of course it is, it's just been fully bastardized.

The only thing I was looking for was a hull, because of the unibody construction. One boat we have is a 1956 Lonestar - all aluminum- I like it because there are no innards to have to worry about - stringers etc etc. I was thinking a Whaler hull (if I properly checked it out for problems- ctacking, delamination, etc) would give me SOME similar peace.

I know you guys are purists, so I guess I should have expected that answer - I guess to be more to the point...what IS a good price for a good small Whaler hull only? A dollar? Five hundred? I have NO idea with a Whaler. For instance, we have some stupid 23' Starcraft hull that some dummy left over here (we ended up with it) and we are simply going to dump it without even looking under the floor. At least we got a very nice trailer for free.

I thought that with the (virtually) unsinkable thing, a decent Whaler hull might have some intrinsic value. I'm not looking to go to a boat show, just stay afloat!

Joe Kriz
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 5:09 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Of course all Whalers can be customized. Then it would be a "Custom" model.
If you take out the Whaler console and the seat, then it is no longer a Montauk.

The interior designates what model it is as the 16/17 hulls are all the same. (depending on year)
In the case of the Montauk, that would be a Whaler fiberglass console and a Whaler Reversible Pilot Seat with teak backrest in the early years and fiberglass later.
The Montauk also has side and bow rails standard.

So, you would be buying a bare hull with basically nothing in it unless that console and steering that is in there now actually works and is safe.

The price of a used boat and motor combination is generally split in half.
Half for the hull and half for the motor. Of course this would include an interior and rails when buying a Whaler.

If buying a bare hull and putting a new $6k motor on it, then you would probably be more into the boat then buying one with a working engine on it along with an interior and rails.

The hull is only worth what you want to pay for it.
In 1979, a bare hull sold for $3390 which included side and bow rails, ski/lifting eyes, rub rail and drain plug.

Deals can be had on many Whalers but in general a turn key early Montauk would go for around $7k on the West Coast but I have seen them back East for much less.
These all had good working engines, trailers, console, railing, RPS, etc....

That's the best I can do for you.
Good Luck with your decision.

Morgon64
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/26/10 - 6:30 PM

Thank you, that was very helpful.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 18, 2024 - 8:22 PM
Users Online
Welcome
rhall228
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 3
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,102
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,512,046 unique visits