View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
How to apply new whaler stickers ?
Frick
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/10 - 4:58 AM

Comments: 0

Just got my new Whaler stickers from magic brush. Lost the directions for applying them and dont want to screw it up. Any help Pls

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/10 - 5:07 AM

Comments: 34

While I know some say to use soapy water I do not as I personally have found it to effect the adhesion of the vinyl in the fast couple days of placement.

My first step is to get a straight edge and transfer a line 1" below the bottom of the "sled" on the existing decal on the side of the hull with a pencil. Then I take a square and transfer the end of the sled down to that line as well.

Next I take my new vinyl and draw a line 1" below the bottom of the sled and mark the end of the sled. I draw these markings on the front face of the transfer film. Once that is done I take a razor knife and straight edge to cut along the transfer line as well as to mark the sleds end.

After removing the old decal, peel the backing off the decal new and line up the newly trimmed edge of the transfer film with your markings on the side of the hull. The transfer film will now hold everything in place.

Next with a bondo spreader or like flat piece of plastic work your way up and out from the bottom center of the graphic and outward until the entire decal is adhered. At that point you will want to burnish the vinyl as hard as you can. I usually take a microfiber rag and the edge of my fist and work it over the entire area.

The final step is to now remove the transfer film. Be sure to start at one edge and peel it directly back over the top of itself and not at a 90 degree angle to the surface. This sharp break will help release the vinyl from the film. Work slow and as you get to a corner of the vinyl it may take you having to delicately work the film off while holding an edge of the vinyl down to the surface.

Any air bubbles you have after this point will be gone in a week or less. Do not fret it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Jeff on 06/21/10 - 5:24 AM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

DWinter
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/21/10 - 7:24 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Good directions Jeff.

Don't forget to wipe the hull area with a small amount of laquer thinner or acetone.

Duane G Winter
1984 BW Sport 15 Center Console

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 3:40 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,282,261 unique visits