View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1991 17 Outrage Throttle Cable Repair
moguls2go
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/10 - 8:16 AM

Comments: 0

This morning I started the boat (115 hp Merc), revved the engine per usual. After putting the boat in gear, I backed away from the dock and quickly realized I had no throttle, just f/n/r. I can see the throttle cable pulsing at the motor when I push on the throttle control at the helm- but there's no response in the engine. I assume, since I can see the cable sheath pulse, that the cable has snapped inside that sheath.

I'm no mechanic, but am anxious to learn, and am hoping that the Whaler brethren here will be able to provide some insight. Anyone able to share the materials I'll need (presumably just the cable- what length) and some direction? Thanks!

Max
Chicago, IL
1991 17 Outrage I

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/19/10 - 11:42 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Max

Just to make sure, you model has the twin stern quarter seats with the fuel tank under the floor?

While I derigged my boat a month ago, I did not measure the cables. I would remove the throttle cable at the console and look for the model number at the end of the sheath. If not there, check the motor end.

Another way to get the length is to remove it and measure. I would attach a rope to the console end to pull through the new one.

Having pulled my console and floor, it may be difficult to feed it throught the rigging flange at the console/floor grommet.

See my project album for photos.

Edited by Phil T on 06/19/10 - 2:26 PM
1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

moguls2go
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/20/10 - 3:00 PM

Comments: 0

Phil,

Yes, my 17 is the model with the two back seats. I confirmed today that the cable did snap- I disconnected it from the motor and was able to pull about 6 inches of the cable straight out. I went to West Marine and ordered a new cable (I hope- they need to call Teleflex to lookup the model I gave them).

I'm thinking that I'll just attach the new cable to the old cable and fish it that way. I am worried about getting it through the deck under the console- at first glance it looked like some pretty tight turns are required. Any advice? Do you think there's a difference between pulling it from the helm aft, or from the engine forward?

Also, just out of curiosity- are you aware if anyone makes a replacement deck section for that boat? I notice that you pulled the section of deck that covers the tank off- a few years ago my dad used some paint thinner or something to try to clean a stain, and instead melted the fiberglass on that section. I realize it's a long shot, but worth asking...

Thanks for the help!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 6:57 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,276,336 unique visits