View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Hoisting montauk
Yoreilly
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 1:24 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 17' montauk that I need to attach to a hoist to get in and out of ocean. I plan to attach two straps to the two transom tow eyes. Then attach another strap to the anchor atachment, near the bow. I have a 640 lb motor and 300 lb of scuba and misc gear, to add to weight of boat.
So has anyone done this? My montauk is a 1974, I'd hate to find out the anchor eye hook is not strong enough.
The guys at port orford Oregon dock told me to change the Boston whaler eye hooks. Say 's there cast, and I shoud get some others made of steel.
So has anyone done this?
Thanks. Jr

number9
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/16/10 - 2:29 PM

Comments: 1

I believe the original BW owner's manuals referenced the interior bow lifting eye and stern eyes as suitable for lifting purposes. Keep in mind on a 1974 Whaler the eye and attaching hardware may be 35 y.o. or replaced with cheaper replacements over the years. Non destructive testing for your current parts is probably not cost effective. If this is for your private lift you may be ok since we don't have reports of many failures.

Bill...On the Ogeechee
1984 Outrage 18...Yamaha T50...that's right, 50hp

Ambush
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/18/10 - 3:49 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

With a boat of this age I would seriously consider 'number9' 's comments and if it were me? I would go ahead and replace the three hoisting points hardware. In factory condition, those hardpoints are capable of what you intend.

I have a 1982 year model Montauk, last season I attempted a launch from my drive on trailer. I hadn't backed down far enough during a rare and extremely low tide and I couldn't slide her off. Instead of doing the smart thing; reattaching my tow strap and backing down further, I merely hooked on the safety chain. When the boat started to float it slid down the bunks to the extent of the 12 inch safety chain. With a loud 'BUMP' I looked over my shoulder to see my boat floating past the floating dock, out of reach and unmanned. Another boater ferried me over to my boat. Motoring back to the ramp I noticed the bow tow eye (the anchor box eye and bow tow eye are conencted with a threaded rod) hanging from the safety chain. The threaded rod was corroded 3/4 way through at the bow tow eye.

My mind raced back to last year when I swapped trailers and my boat was hoisted over the swap by those three hardpoints. Four feet over concrete. Werd.

Doug
Only in a Whaler!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 5, 2024 - 8:39 PM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 7
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,277,438 unique visits