View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Need a longer Teleflex cable, need some advice....
Jet Wrench
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/12/10 - 2:16 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I need to make sure I am ordering the correct lengh steering cable. I have a 66 Sakonnet. I will be installing a center console. I did get a cable with the boat, but it's trash (16' measuring the plastic sheathing, adding 18" and rounding up to the nearest foot). That being said, I am also adding a CMC trim/tilt plate, that will add an additional 6" back from the transom. I am thinking I should order a 17' cable instead of a 16' one, taking the trim plate into consideration. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jet Wrench

Jet Wrench

ioptfm
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/13/10 - 7:07 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I'm sorry that I can't tell you what length to get, but if I were you I would measure as closely as possible and then order one longer so you can have a good even bend to the motor and no share abrupt turns

Tom
1979 Sport 15'

MW
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/14/10 - 3:56 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 10

You might be making a few trip's to the marine store (like I did). You want the cable to make a nice tight turn with the transom, not too tight (or it will bind), not too long ( or the loop will hang off the back possibly getting caught on a dock cleat, or other obstruction).

What I would do: Put everything together, then take a piece of rope and tape it around the boat to where the steering cable should go, then cut the rope to the proper length. This way you will have some idea of the size of the cable that you will need when you get to the Marine store. Hope this helped.

Matt

Tharsheblows
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/15/10 - 6:34 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

I have a 1970 Eastport and it had a 16 ft. cable that was severly bent inside the console and a very sharp turn at the stern. eventually with wear and corrison it became almost impossible to steer. When I worked out the formulas by the venders as to the size of vessel to cable legnth they led me back to the 16 ft. legnth. I don't think those formulas take into account the center tunnel, the bend in the console and the rear bend out of the tunnel over to the side and back to the motor. The formula diagrams showed a cable running along the starboard gunnel to a side mounted steering. I ended up with a 18 ft. cable which gives as gentle a curve as possible in the console and at the rear the cable curves across the floor to the starboard stern up above the splash well and back to the motor. It now steers like power steering.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 6, 2024 - 12:17 AM
Users Online
Welcome
mthimineur
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 6
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,053
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,280,046 unique visits