View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1982 Johnson vs. 2000 Yamaha
fgreen70
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/10 - 6:58 PM

Comments: 0

I have received such great advice from members on this site, I'm hoping to push my luck one more time. Hopefully, once I get my boat, I'll be able to give advice as well.

I'm looking at 2 classic 17' Montauks. One is a 1982 with an '82 110 Johnson (obviously 2 stroke). I looked over the boat; hull seems sound (owner admitted to a small soft spot on port side of console), console is good (teak was replaced with black plastic), and the motor started right up - though it was loud. The biggest benefit of this particular boat is that it sits above the wheels of the trailer, so the trailer isn't any wider than the boat. The opening on my gate is only 6'10", and the width at the side of the house is just over 7'. The owner is asking $5,500. I noticed spider cracks all over the interior floor, there were two small drill holes on the transom, where a transducer may have been mounted, and there was obvious fiberglass repair at the eye attachment for a davit. I don't know if any of those things could allow water intrusion into the hull.

The other boat is an '86 with a 2000 Yamaha 100 hp 4-stroke. It has bottom paint in rough shape, but there are much fewer spider cracks in the interior. It has a bow rail (helpful for dolphin fishing 5 miles out), but the Bimini top is in worse shape than the other boat and the teak needs some refinishing. The aluminum trailer is only 6 months old - but unfortunately it's 8' wide. I took it on a sea trial today and it ran beautifully; motor was smooth and very quiet. I have to say I was amazed by the ride of the Montauk. There was a good deal of chop on the intercoastal, and I know my brother-in-law's 21' Proline would have been a rougher ride. The owner was asking $7,950, but said he was willing to go down to $7,000.

So there's my dilemma. I would have to get another trailer for the '86 Montauk, which could add another $1,000 to the price, depending on whether a trailer company is willing to trade in the old trailer. Do you think the newer motor is worth the possible $2,500 difference? I'm not even sure how big of a headache it will be to switch the boat to a new trailer, especially if I'm doing a trade-in. I have a sea trial scheduled for the '82 Montauk on Tuesday with a boat surveyor, but I'm wondering if I should cancel it and go with the '86. I don't want to waste anyone's time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

- Fred Green

Bake
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/10 - 7:44 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 8

so the boat is in better condition with a motor that is 18 years younger. Although you say you can not use the trailer as is, it should have some good value if you sell it. Kinda easy to see 2500 dollars between the two boats. If neither boat really fits you wait for the next one. there is always a boat for sale and you can bet the perfect boat will show up once you settle for something you do not want.

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/10 - 7:53 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

The 1982 Johnson is overpowering the 1982 Montauk. You might want to check the price of insurance for this one.

I would go for the 1986 model which has the newer console, motor, and trailer.
Can you widen your gate? Might be cheaper than a different trailer.

The other trailer makes the boat sit higher and you have to back into the water further for both launching and retrieving.... I prefer the trailers that allow the boats to sit lower but this does make the trailer wider at the wheelbase.

joninnj
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/06/10 - 8:55 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

Only a close physical inspection can really answer your questions... But based on what you mention, I would be leaning toward the newer model with the 4 Stroke Yamie. You don't mention where you are located...Some states are getting very strict on emissions and 2 strokes...

Jon in NJ
Many other boats and outboards in my boating history
The Whaler is the one I like the best!!!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 15, 2024 - 5:49 PM
Users Online
Welcome
gdean
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,090
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,628
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,448,616 unique visits