View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Thickened Gel Coat
modenacart
#1 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 5:38 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

I just sprayed my first coat of gel and it revealed some pinholes I though I had filled. I just plan on filling them with thickened gel coat. How should I thicken gel coat to fill these?

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Jeff
#2 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 5:44 PM

Comments: 34

When doing minor gel coat repairs as well as filling larger scratches I mix Evercoat polyster gel paste 60/40 mixed in with raw liquid Gel Coat. 60 Evercoat and 40 raw gel coat. Since the Evercoat product is clear it takes the color of the raw product easily and provides you with a lot filler with out running through a lot of the Spectrum product to do the repairs.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail...px?pID=104

Here are some images of the liquid gel coat and evercoat product. Step one get your liquid gel coat base and Evercoat polyester gel:
http://sites.google.com/site/rohlfing...lcoat1.jpg

Step two mix them together, add your catalyst and begin filling your holes:
http://sites.google.com/site/rohlfing...lcoat2.jpg

Once filled wet sand smooth and polish.

-

I use this method with raw spectrum gel coat also instead of those patch kits. I know many complain about the longevity of the small spectrum patch kits. They always seem to go bad in a hurry and at $30 with shipping it can be a killer. I have found this to be a solution to the problem.

I have stopped buying the patch kits and just buy a quart of the straight liquid gel coat. Since the Spectrum liquid products are never a 100% match I use the Evercoat color agents to custom tint the Spectrum products to match the real gel coat color I am dealing with. Since no two boats gelcoat will be ever the same. I have Brown, Yellow, Black, White and Red. I mostly use the White and Brown. Yellow gets used a bit as well. The black is voodoo. It is necessary at times to use it however, a tiny bit goes a LONG way in changing color. So, if I have to use it I only add tiny tiny bits at a time. I do this in batches and store them in screw tight cans with 3m electrical tape over the cap. I mark the cans with what hull I matched it to so I know what to grab when doing a repair.

Here are the color tints.
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail...px?pID=157

BTW, NEVER try to color match gelcoat in anything but natural day light. Harsh, high contrast days are ok but, not the best. An overcast day or, sun raise and sun set are better. Incandescent, florescent and high pressure sodium lights will always alter the true reflected light pigment of any color. If you mix color in these environments what looks correct could be off in actual day light.

After that I follow the above described method for filling. The nice thing is in the end since your base product is in liquid from this also allows you to have color matched agents that you can load in a gun and spray if needed. This is a big plus.

Edited by Jeff on 06/04/10 - 5:56 PM
1993 23' Walkaround Whaler Drive

modenacart
#3 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 5:51 PM
Personal Page

Should I go ahead and fill or wait until I have sprayed my final coat of gel?

They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
--Benjamin Franklin

Jeff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 5:57 PM

I would fill and wet sand them out before your final coating.

modenacart
#5 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 6:07 PM
Personal Page

Ok, I have two more coats to do. The first two coats are going to be tacky, so wet sanding might not be a good option.

--Benjamin Franklin

Jeff
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 6:11 PM

Well maybe you just wait until the end and when it is all cured then. If you are using the EXACT same raw material to create the filler you it should in theory be a perfect match.

modenacart
#7 Print Post
Posted on 06/04/10 - 6:29 PM
Personal Page

I expect it will be a good match. I thought the gel coat would mask more than it did.

--Benjamin Franklin

modenacart
#8 Print Post
Posted on 06/05/10 - 8:24 AM
Personal Page

The surface is not near as tacky as I expected. I think I may go ahead and fill and do my best to keep it as clean as possible. I really like the idea of having a continuous outer coat.

--Benjamin Franklin

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 14, 2024 - 8:04 PM
Users Online
Welcome
bheemstra
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 14
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,087
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,432,219 unique visits