View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Project 19' Lowprofile help with teak gunnels and tank
acassidy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/30/10 - 6:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Well I have my third Whaler to restore a 1978 low Profile. The boat is in actually very good condition considering the abuse it has gone through. The previous owner stripped the boat to have it painted and then let it set for 5 years. During that time the tank was pulled and the tank area was full of water. The owner bought new aluminum tank that I now have and will install. The tank well had previous repairs and let water soak in the the hull under that area. So I had to remove the previous repairs and dry the foam and hull out with a fan. Once dry and I am going to repair it with foam and epoxy.

Question how should I install the tank. To schools of thought are foam it in or put the tank on small strips and let it has air access around it.

The front of the boat was decked over by Transport boat, and it does not look good. I like the idea of the deck but do not like the angle of it or the ugly job they did. I am thinking the amount of work it would take to make this look good would equal the amount of work to just remove it and repair the original hull.

Since this boat was originally a 20' banana, the rear bench seat does not now have the support on the sides so now I need to figure out how to fix that.

I have seen some put wood teak strips down the side on the gunnel like the original low profile.

DOES ANYONE HAVE DRAWN PLANS FOR THE TEAK STRIPS THAT GO ON THE GUNNEL? I like the look of the teak and the look of putting a hand rail on them,

Thanks for any help and I will continue putting updates as I go through the boat.

Archie
Clear lake Tx

http://www.whalercentral.com/infusion...ser_id=683

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 11:39 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.19 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,417,611 unique visits