View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Anybody have a fix for stripped railing!
cabobret
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/30/10 - 1:05 AM

Comments: 0

I have an older Whaler where the bow rails are stripped out at the base where they attach to the boat.

Does anybody have an easy fix for this?

RevengeFamily
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/30/10 - 4:26 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Here are two approaches that I've used on my 1967 Nauset railings... The first one works for quite some time but may have to be repeated if you encounter heavy seas that batter the boat. The second is more time consuming but definately more permanant if done correctly.

1. Pull the lose railing leg off to the side and tie them out of the way. Take slivers of oak and knock them into the hole until you can fit no more. Re-install the leg with stainless wood screws.

2. Remove the bow rail as one assembly. Take a 12d finish nail and put a 90degree bend in it. Attach this nail in your drill and insert it in the screw hole. Run the drill while moving the nail up and down inside the hole loosening up the foam inside the fiber glass. (Your looking to make a cavity approximately 1 1/4" in diameter by 1 1/2" - 2" deep) After you've loosened the foam, use a shop vac to remove as much of the foam pieces as possible. You may want to enlarge the hole at this time to make removal of the foam easier. Mix up some epoxy resin and pour it into the cavity until it is full. Allow this to cure to full strength. After curing, drill and tap the resin for a 3/16th stainless steal machine screw. Re-install your railing and you should not have any further problems.

Hope this helps,

Norm

1999 280 Conquest w/twin 225 Mercs
"When the people fear their government there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
Thomas Jefferson

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
May 13, 2024 - 9:04 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Onthelake
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 5
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,085
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,627
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 551
· Nauset 16 399
· Sport 15 364

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,415,312 unique visits