View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
SternMate Transducer Mount?
LIL Grump
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/18/10 - 11:26 AM

Comments: 0

Anyone have any experience using the SternMate transducer mount? I'm installing my new Garmin 541S on my new to me 2004 Alert 17. I don't want to drill holes, and I've searched on here and seen all the suggestions of mounting the transducer on a piece of starboard, but thought the SternMate might look more professional, and give me more options for adjusting.

Also, I'm more confused now than ever after doing a search on transducer location. According to the owner's manual the transducer should be on the port side above the inverted "V", (my hull is actually a pre 2002 Montauk). I'm confused, since I would think that area would produce turbulance, as it mentions not to install near strakes, etc. Since my swim platform/ladder is on the port side, I would also prefer to mount the transducer on the starboard side. I'm sure there are many of you who have a 17' Montauk hull 1976-2002 that could shed some light on optimum transducer location.

Lil' Lisa Marie
2004 17' Alert, Yamaha F90

Guts
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/18/10 - 11:35 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 8

never seen one but they look cool.

http://www.sternmate.com/

Edited by Guts on 05/18/10 - 11:36 AM
Guts/AKA/Kim

CES
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/18/10 - 11:42 AM
Personal Page
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 7

I like it!!!!

Cliff
1966 13' Sport with a 1993 40hp Yamaha 2 Smoker

CaptnChris
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/18/10 - 1:55 PM

Comments: 0

LIL GRUMP wrote:
Anyone have any experience using the SternMate transducer mount? I'm installing my new Garmin 541S on my new to me 2004 Alert 17. I don't want to drill holes, and I've searched on here and seen all the suggestions of mounting the transducer on a piece of starboard, but thought the SternMate might look more professional, and give me more options for adjusting.

Also, I'm more confused now than ever after doing a search on transducer location. According to the owner's manual the transducer should be on the port side above the inverted "V", (my hull is actually a pre 2002 Montauk). I'm confused, since I would think that area would produce turbulance, as it mentions not to install near strakes, etc. Since my swim platform/ladder is on the port side, I would also prefer to mount the transducer on the starboard side. I'm sure there are many of you who have a 17' Montauk hull 1976-2002 that could shed some light on optimum transducer location.

The preferred location to mount a transducer on the transom of your boat or virtually any I/O or an O/B, is aft of an unobstructed slipstream fore of the location and port or starboard a couple of inches aside of a through hull fitting. Also, mounting it too far outboard could result in losing contact with the water in a bank. Generally, do not mount any further port or starboard from center than 3/4 of the way outward. The 15" "rule" from center came about many years ago when transducers were first mounted on inboards when the water was jetted aft into the transducer. The only concern today inside of that 15" window might be a transducer set so low that it could compromise the water flow by displacing it to the lower unit intakes. 6" minimum port or starboard of center on any boat should be adequate. With those in mind, it pretty much boils down to where you prefer it to be mounted. How you might mount your transducer can more often be an issue more so than where.

Ex: 2 identical boats, motors, electronics mounted exactly alike could very well result in soundings operating much differently from one another. There are reasons seldom addressed regarding this phenomenon and frequent occurrence.

CaptnChris

Edited by CaptnChris on 05/18/10 - 5:34 PM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 3:10 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,623
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,972,907 unique visits