View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Stencil number on 1979 22' Revenge
gchuba
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/18 - 8:33 AM

Comments: 0

I just read the thread of the "Rare 22' 1978 Revenge" for sale. It behooved me to look up my stencil number and get an idea when my boat was made. I have the one of the earliest versions of the Revenge because the cuddy cabin blocks the removal of the fuel tank's deck cover (several members with the same issue). The stencil was inside the starboard side storage locker covered by the wooden hatch cover. Hopefully some one (Joe or others) can cross reference the production date. The stencil number is A20057.

On a side bar......I know they plopped the cuddy cabin on the smirked 22' Outrage hull. I cherish the storage space of the cuddy but have always wondered what the fore portion of the Outrages have for storage and configuration. The very bottom of my cuddy when you step down has a drain plug. Is it the same way with the Outrage or were there different hull and under deck configurations? To me it looks like there would be a pocket for storage underneath the center console.

Joe Kriz
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/18 - 11:23 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

gchuba,

Take a look here on the 22' Hull list we have.
You have a very early stencil and you should also have a 12 digit HIN.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=20

Also see Mike Homewood's 25' Cuddy removal in our Project Albums for more idea on your setup.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=19

gchuba
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/18 - 5:39 PM

Thank you Joe. Looks like my stencil number makes my boat #57 off the assembly line. Where should I look for the HIN# ? Is it on my registration paperwork? I have to dig it up.

As far as the cuddy removal of the 25'........I am actually more interested in the fore deck lay out in the 1979 22' Outrage. If the underdeck of the 22' Outrage is different than my 22' Revenge. Does the Outrage have the lowest plug like on the floor of my cuddy cabin. On a trailer no big deal but when in the slip rain water collects in there. Burned up my first bilge pump because I did not install a backflow device on the discharge hose. The porta potty cover is water stained (previous owner) a good 12" above the floor. Wondering if the Outrage has the same through hull tube......what is the access?

Joe Kriz
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/18 - 6:42 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

If you can't find your HIN, contact BW and give them your Stencil number. They will be able to cross reference and give you your HIN.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...cle_id=103

The 22' Outrage and Revenge are very similar to the 25' Outrage and Revenge except in size. That is why I gave you that info.

gchuba
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/19/18 - 8:19 AM

Thanks Joe,

I contacted Boston Whaler and my HIN is BWC5A055M79F. Manufactured at the Norwell Mass. plant. Shipped to the Seattle Boat Show on January 10, 1979. Pretty obvious that the boat was built in 1978.

Also, when talking with Chuck at BW I asked about the comparisons of the deck/hull layouts between the 22' Outrages and Revenges. The hulls were 100% identical. Whereas in the Revenge you have access to the lowest through drain by walking into the cabin, the same access is through a hatch door in front of the center console of the Outrage. You had to crawl down in there.

Information of note:
-a bilge pump was a factory option in that lowest area (storage locker in Outrage and bottom of floor in Revenge)
-the stern side of the rigging tunnel had an optional factory bilge pump. It has through access to the lowest chamber of the hull.
-fish locker in the center of the deck was not well thought out. Designed for holding ice and fish. Not a bait well. Fills up with deck water with no easy access to pump out. He was pretty intrigued with my new through drain between the fish locker and the splash well (where I have a bilge pump). As I type this another remedy for the standing water in the fish locker would be second larger diameter through drain parallel with the existing through drain that accommodates the fuel line to the rigging tunnel. The second through drain would allow access for wires and discharge tube for a bilge above the water line from this area.

I believe Boston Whaler would concede design issues of water in the fish locker as well as the fuel tank chamber. The very issues that we as club members (in the fraternity of the 22' smirked hulls) face with resolving.

Edited by gchuba on 01/19/18 - 8:22 AM

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 8:36 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Ermanno
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,965
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,711,097 unique visits