View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Is my motor too heavy?
Blue78Montauk
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/01/17 - 10:12 PM

Comments: 0

My wife and I purchased a 1978 Montauk 17, which came with a 2001 100hp Yamaha fourstroke, which runs fine and has given me no problems. I am admittedly new to this type of boat, grew up on a small pontoon.

Several people at our marina have told me that motor is too heavy for my boat and that I need something lighter. Is there any truth to this? If so, trying to figure out if the Etec 90 or YamahaF70 is a better choice. Any thoughts? Its usually just us two cruising, occasionally 4 people. We dont venture out in rough conditions by choice.

wrangler
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/17 - 3:53 AM

I have a 1979 Montauk with 90 HP Yamaha 4 stroke. I moved the battery into the console. Yes, it sits a little lower than my old 2 stroke, but the 4 stroke gas mileage, quietness and better running overcome this.

The boat may sit low in the water but I do not take any water inside the boat unless 2 people stand back by the motor. It is a compromise.

The Etec is lighter and the Yamaha 70 has only an 18 amp alternator versus 25 on the 90. Do you need more electrical power for electronics?

If I had to do it again, I would choose what I have.

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/17 - 5:43 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Very likely not an issue unless the boat has water in the hull?

Where does the boat sit in the water?

When empty, at rest, where is the water line in relation to the rear splashwell drains? Below, at or above? If above, by how much?

Moving the battery to the console is always a good step to help trim. It a DIY we can walk you through.

1992 Outrage 17 I
2019 E-TEC 90, Viper 17 2+
2018 Load Rite Elite 18280096VT

Sharky1
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/02/17 - 9:39 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 3

I have a 17 Super Sport with a 90HP Suzuki 4 stroke. The fuel economy is ridiculously good but the weight is my only issue. at 350+lbs I always seem to take a little water over the back when I use the dive ladder. I love the horsepower and the fuel but hate the weight. I had a 2 stroke 70 Yamaha prior and the weight was perfect as well as the performance (top end 31MPH). However, when it was loaded to the gills she didn't like the weight. I guess what I'm saying is, I would take the performance and fuel economy over the weight problem any day of the week. She hauls butt with the new motor, about 42MPH with 4 people on board. I also think the ride with the heavier motor is a little bit better. Lastly, I can't comment on ETEC cause I haven't seen the performance but I hate buying special 2 stroke oil. If you're ok with it tell everyone to take a hike. There are lots of folks configured like you.

EJO
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/03/17 - 11:59 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Blue78Montauk wrote:
I am admittedly new to this type of boat, grew up on a small pontoon.

Several people at our marina have told me that motor is too heavy for my boatand that I need something lighter.

These several people are all Montauk 17 owners? and know what they are talking about?
As mentioned before the drain is a good indication of to heavy, if not already do move some weight further up front (console, anchor locker)

You motor weight of approx. 360 lbs is the same as the Mercury 90ELPT 4-stroke that many old Montauk 17 owners have re-powered with.

I would leave it alone until the motor fails and you must re-power. At that time you can visit this topic again in the meantime enjoy your new ride and know you have enough power to overcome anything and remember it is not a pontoon and as a smaller boat must be balanced a little more (i.e. don't have 4 adults in the back (behind the RPS) have 2 adults in front of the console when 4 aboard. Also don't have 4 on port or 4 on SB (even though the boat can handle it)you must balance your load.

Edited by EJO on 11/03/17 - 12:12 PM
Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

wezie
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/05/17 - 7:58 AM

Lots of good advice. Move weight forward and live with it. Be careful in cases where waves might come over transom. Do not overload!

whitworth74
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/09/20 - 9:24 PM

Sharky1 wrote:
I have a 17 Super Sport with a 90HP Suzuki 4 stroke. The fuel economy is ridiculously good but the weight is my only issue. at 350+lbs I always seem to take a little water over the back when I use the dive ladder. I love the horsepower and the fuel but hate the weight. I had a 2 stroke 70 Yamaha prior and the weight was perfect as well as the performance (top end 31MPH). However, when it was loaded to the gills she didn't like the weight. I guess what I'm saying is, I would take the performance and fuel economy over the weight problem any day of the week. She hauls butt with the new motor, about 42MPH with 4 people on board. I also think the ride with the heavier motor is a little bit better. Lastly, I can't comment on ETEC cause I haven't seen the performance but I hate buying special 2 stroke oil. If you're ok with it tell everyone to take a hike. There are lots of folks configured like you.

I would love to see how you set up a dive ladder on the super sport. Can you post a picture?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 7:03 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.26 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,696,097 unique visits