View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Ready to start building seats and console. Need advice
Kayaken
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/17 - 9:03 AM

Comments: 0

I have a 15' super sport and spent most of the summer patching and repairing the exterior of my hull. Everything went very well but was exhausting. The boat is flipped and back on the trailer tucked away in a garage for the winter. I'm now starting to turn my attention to the interior which includes dremeling the spidercracks and refairing the entire inside. The fun part is going to be rebuilding the seats and console. I really enjoy woodworking so I've been looking forward to this part of the project. My questions are:

1. Are there general plans for the interior that I can download
2. When it comes to materials, someone told me they used starboard instead of mahogany. How well does that hold up and will it need reinforcements due to material strength issues?

Thanks,
Ken

Kayaken
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/27/17 - 9:52 AM

Another option is if anyone can shoot me some detailed pictures of their seats and console set up, I can reverse engineer the design and create some google sketchup drawings to share with the community. Should be a really fun winter project.

SeaLevel
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/28/17 - 4:41 AM
Personal Page

I built my whole console out of Azek and my RPS out of mahogany surrounding an Igloo cooler. See "Miss Lucy ii" in the members personal pages, custom 1970 16'

Edited by SeaLevel on 10/28/17 - 4:44 AM
"It's just a forty eight year old Whaler but it's all mine"
Joseph R Palmieri

Kayaken
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/17 - 6:24 PM

Thanks for the suggestion about the alternative material. I'm having trouble finding plans or detailed images of the woodworking. Can anyone point me to a link? I've searched for hours and no luck. Alternatively, if there are any folks in Connecticut that wouldn't mind letting me see their boat up close, I could simply take measurements and reverse engineer the woodworking. I'm in Central CT. Thanks for the help!

Finnegan
#5 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/17 - 6:52 PM

Comments: 16

If I were you, I'd look at this Specialty Marine interior. For the price, you can't beat what you get, and I doubt you can build it yourself for much less, considering all the labor that would be required.

The only thing I would do is add another 5-7 coats of Z-Spar Flagship 2015 Marine varnish. The five coats they offer won't hold up very long.

http://www.specialtymarine.com/BOSTON...p1043.html

This will keep your boat looking all classic original, whereas a Starboard interior, which will cost a fortune and be a ton of work, will decrease it's value considerably.

Edited by Finnegan on 12/07/17 - 6:53 PM

Kayaken
#6 Print Post
Posted on 12/08/17 - 6:36 AM

Well I found the 13' supersport interior plans on this site finally. It gives me the basic foundation for starting the project. Curious, how is the interior woodworking secured to the boat? I'm not sure how it's screwed into the boat, where these screws are seated, and to what pieces. Can anyone send pictures?

Also, I'm leaning toward a double console similar to the Black Max interior made by one of the members on this site. Any downside to having the pass through in the middle vs on the side?

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 10:57 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Anhthanhthi
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,017
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,028,263 unique visits