View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
water in oil
robb huff
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/17 - 10:06 AM

Comments: 0

Just returned from a week of crabbing on a 42' Grand Banks, in San Juan islands. Saw hundreds of twin outboard configurations, most Yamaha, so I felt validated in choosing Yamaha when repowering with brand new 250 Yams.

Spending this kind of coin, one would hope to avoid problems. not the case - 130 hrs and port engine smoked (white steam) - pulled the hood and dip stick and a veritable latte of milk.

Certainly warranty should cover (right?) but it's $1000 to transport via trailer etc' plus 'weeks' in the yard? - seems like a penalty for choosing Yamaha.

2004 BW Conquest 305 - 32'

JRP
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/17 - 12:54 PM

Comments: 2

"Making oil" is a common problem you read about with modern Yamahas. We're not supposed to post links to other websites here, but if you use a search engine you should be able to come up with a lot of info on this issue.

Sorry to hear you are another victim.

tedious
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/19/17 - 3:25 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

JRP wrote:
"Making oil" is a common problem you read about with modern Yamahas. We're not supposed to post links to other websites here, but if you use a search engine you should be able to come up with a lot of info on this issue.

Sorry to hear you are another victim.

This response is not pertinent to your situation. Some Yamahas built around 2005 did indeed have a problem with getting gas in the oil due to a poor breakin procedure or cold running. However, this was corrected - by changing one or more of the piston rings, although I may not be remembering that right. It certainly is not a problem "with modern Yamahas." And in any event, since you have water in the oil, rather than gas, you are not a "victim" of this issue, whatever any fan of another brand of outboard might say.

Your symptom of water in the oil is likely due to a bad head gasket, less likely a casting flaw in the block. Bad luck, but that's what warranties are for.

Tim

Edited by tedious on 09/20/17 - 12:52 PM

robb huff
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/17 - 9:35 AM

thanks for the info.
While I don't know if the milky result is water or gas mixed in the oil (reluctant to taste it) I am having the massive boat trailered and stored for repair to am authorized Dealer (cost is sizeable and apparently my problem) and remain frustrated that out of the thousands of newly purchased and expensive Yam's, I got the one where the technician missed the class on (pick one) casting tolerances, gasket insertion, torqueing etc.

Trying to make the best out of what everyone involved claims to be a 'very unusual' situation.

2004 BW conquest 305
twin 250 F Yamaha, 7 months old with 140 hrs (20 hr and 120 hrs services completed)

wezie
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/21/17 - 2:09 PM

Seems like a good time to pile on like tim.
When the yamaha mercuries were making oil, that was passed off as ho hum, it is really ok, and you will get over it as soon as you drive it right. Bla, Bla, Bla.
Neither yamaha Nor mercury paid for that one.
Then there is the ongoing corrosion problems with certain years of yamahas.
Yamaha once had a good reputation?

robb huff
#6 Print Post
Posted on 10/04/17 - 11:44 AM

When I purchased said 2004 boat both Yama/Merc's were trashed so I bought hull, and repowered. Yamaha authorised replaced power head (engine is 8 months old with 140 hrs). while it's good they stood behind product (I have the extended 6 year warranty which I received for free as i purchased in October with promo). However, it costs me $1,000 plus to trailer boat to/from yard - kind of a 'penalty' for choosing the top of the line.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 2:52 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,979,921 unique visits