View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Ribside outside of DC
crbenny
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/17 - 12:05 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

These boats are out there.. Most of them are absolute junk yet almost without exception, the owners are convinced they're in great shape and worth tons of money. What's strange about this one is that it's the original owner and one would think that he'd remember what it was like when new.. I guess love is blind.

https://smd.craigslist.org/boa/613986...60356.html

Chris

Edited by Phil T on 05/20/17 - 3:26 PM

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/20/17 - 12:47 PM

Comments: 16

All of the poorly designed homemade and poorly selected aftermarket junk, plus the bottom paint, pretty much destroys any real value. But somebody looking for a big, costly project, or to turn it into a work boat, will probably spring for it. I don't think the price is unreasonable.

Weatherly
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/17 - 11:22 AM

Comments: 4

To any prospective buyer of a Ribside 21 or smoothside 21, be sure to do a full inspection of the bottom (specifically a hammer tap) to determine if there is any separation of the outer skin from the foam core. I have seen several failures of the Outrage 21 where the bottom hull skin was ripped away and heavily damaged under planing conditions, in the mid-ship to aft area of the hull between the center chine and outer chines.

Finnegan
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/22/17 - 11:08 PM

Comments: 16

As an Owner of one of these Ribside boats, there is one bad design detail that I have discovered, and although mine does not have any problems with it, I can see the potential for problems in freezing climates.

Whaler installed a bow locker drain pipe in the hull, which can hold water, freeze during winter storage, rupture the pipe and then continuously let water into the surrounding foam, maybe causing the problem Weatherly is referring to, at least on the starboard side.

The drain goes straight down vertically in the locker, about 2", then has a 90 degree elbow going into the long run (about 15') of copper tubing imbedded in the hull, running down the starboard side, and re appearing in the sump at the stern, also by turning straight up 2" again with another 90 degree elbow. The idea is to drain any water out of the bow locker, but water can also enter at this sump location, and sit in the tube which it would completely fill up. With freezing, the pipe could split, and I'm sure some have.

I keep this drain pipe plugged at both ends in mine (uses standard 1" twist plugs), but i'm sure many have not over the years. i think it's a really bad design idea, with no self draining. The only way water can get out of this tube is by bubbling up under pressure from excess water coming into it.

crbenny
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/17 - 5:06 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Weatherly, what's the latest on hull #001?

If I were a Boston Whaler chief executive, I'd be driving down to Woods Hole with a brand new Outrage in tow, looking to trade. BW needs to own that boat, restore it and put in on display in Edgewater..

Chris

Weatherly
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/17 - 9:02 AM

While I will defer to David Remsen to provide a more complete account of how #001 is currently being used as a work boat at the Marine Biological Laboratory, I can tell you that now 82-year-old retired FP/BW employee Henry Smith completed bottom repair work on the hull and the boat was put back in service more than two years ago. I saw a youtube video after the work was done of the hull breaking ice in the eel pond, and that made Henry upset when I played the video for him. A search of Woods Hole on Google Earth revealed a Outrage 21 shaped boat sitting on the right side of the dock in front of the MBL boat house. That may very well be #001. The MBL also has #001009, a smoothside 21.

Weatherly
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/23/17 - 10:17 AM

You can watch the MBL dock live via this link. It looks like #001 is on the dock being cleaned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51Jk70pqCjw

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 3:27 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 8
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,707,988 unique visits