View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Montauk Hull lighting and SeaDek Question
Unassailable
#1 Print Post
Posted on 05/12/17 - 11:46 AM

Comments: 0

Hi Folks,

I am looking to do a couple upgrades to my boat.

1) Does anyone have any interior deck lighting pictures or explanation about how they light up their Montauk at night? Obviously these boats don't have any under gunnel areas, so the only thing I can think about is the little underwater lights or equivalent that I could fabricate into the center console that would face out. But what about the stern and bow? I've seen where people attach another piece of metal to the grab bar on the console and attach deck lights to that, but it looks cheesy to me. Any ideas? I currently just use a flashlight when going out in the dark and it's a PITA.

2) My deck is pretty clean with few imperfections, but I was wondering if anyone actually had their deck done with SeaDek? I am more concerned with the resale and longevity factor for this, not price. The boat is in amazing shape for a 1984, so I do not want to bring down its value among people that like classic Whalers but I like the idea of extra non-skid padding.

Thanks,

John

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 05/12/17 - 12:01 PM

Comments: 16

I have installed console mounted courtesy lights in all of my boats, including the Montauk, and they work well.

As you mention, in a Montauk the only suitable place is in the sides of the console, down as low as possible, which is underneath the console shelf.

See the Montauk photo album in the personal website link for pictures of the installation. If you need more light, you can install two on each side, one at the front and one at the back.

The lights shown in mine are no longer available, but recently I have had excellent results with these. They are not expensive and look good:

https://www.searchlock.com/shop?q=Sea...dir-google

I think they require a 2-1/8" hole saw.

If you are short of switch space, you can use the compass light switch position, and move the compass light so it goes on with the navigation lights.

I also install a dome light inside the console, with it's own integral switch. Comes in really hand many times. You can mount it high on the front face (which is what I do), or on the underside of the console top.

Unassailable
#3 Print Post
Posted on 05/12/17 - 12:10 PM

Very clean whalers! I know I've seen them before on this site and others. Do the courtesy lights end up giving enough light towards the bow and stern or just the sides? I will probably look for an LED option.

Thanks!

John

PurrSeaStance
#4 Print Post
Posted on 05/13/17 - 4:02 AM
Personal Page

I've added a spreader bar that ratchets up just under the bimini top on mine. We have two floods fore and two aft. Works great during lobster season (fishing at night). This spreader rotates down to fit under the storage cover (like the Bimini) when not in use. I fabricated it from SS tubing and two SS antenna ratchet clamps. The actual lights are Lumitec LEDs and are super bright with either white or blue light and very low power consumption. Lights are switched and breaker-ed separately fore and aft. Let me know if you'd like photos and I can dig some up.
Will

Edited by PurrSeaStance on 05/13/17 - 4:14 AM
Wishin I was fishin!

Unassailable
#5 Print Post
Posted on 05/14/17 - 11:14 PM

PurrSeaStance wrote:
I've added a spreader bar that ratchets up just under the bimini top on mine. We have two floods fore and two aft. Works great during lobster season (fishing at night). This spreader rotates down to fit under the storage cover (like the Bimini) when not in use. I fabricated it from SS tubing and two SS antenna ratchet clamps. The actual lights are Lumitec LEDs and are super bright with either white or blue light and very low power consumption. Lights are switched and breaker-ed separately fore and aft. Let me know if you'd like photos and I can dig some up.
Will

Will, I've seen your Whaler on another website ; ). I was hoping I would not have to fabricate too much. I do like that it is a similar light spread that you would get from a T-top. As of right now it looks like Taco Marine makes a flush mount LED light that may work directly attached to the center console.

Still no comments about SeaDek?

PurrSeaStance
#6 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/17 - 5:18 AM
Personal Page

Hey Bud! Yeah now I remember. Don't you have the foldable T Top on your Montauk? On "that other website" I've seen some really trick Sea Dek installs on Ballast Point's tournament boat, Ali's Tuna Jihad and recently Billy K's Fish Sauce, a Parker. Nothing has convinced me I need to add it to my boat as it seems it would make it incrementally more difficult to clean. The reviews are good though on how easy it is to install and rinse blood off. You should go talk to the guys at Dana Landing where they fabricate and install it and see some real examples though. It is nice material and easy on the feet. I'll stick with my Costco anti fatigue mat at helm station. For less than $20 every couple seasons it's hard to beat!
Let's go kill some tuna sometime?
Will

Wishin I was fishin!

Jetheredge
#7 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/17 - 10:35 AM

I have a 1987 montauk and i have the same question regarding seadek. my interior has quite a few imperfections in the floor so for me it is going to be a must. I am planning to buy some sheet material and make templates for the non skid areas. i think that would look best.

If anyone has links or pictures of it i would love to see it.

thanks.

PurrSeaStance
#8 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/17 - 11:03 AM
Personal Page

http://www.seadek.com/blog/seadek-marine-products-welcomes-blue-seas-fabrication-as-west-coasts-first-and-only-seadek-certified-fabricator/

For those of us lucky enough to live in San Diego go visit these guys. They are next door to the Dana Landing Tackle shop.
Will

Wishin I was fishin!

jgortva
#9 Print Post
Posted on 05/15/17 - 1:57 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Unassailable,
I am not in the marine canvas or flooring business, but I make most of the canvas, seat covers, floormats and other soft goods needed for boats I have owned for about 10 years or so. I too like the look of SeaDek. However, when I was looking to get a quote for my larger boat, I know you said you are not concerned with price, however, when I was looking to get a quote to do the swim platform and cockpit area of my 36 foot Silverton, the price they came back with was more than the quote I got to totally re non skid and gel coat the same areas. Also, of concern is that they do glue the material down as it will not stick real well as a loose laid product or stay in place using snaps. Again, I like the look and idea of the product, I would just really do your homework before you make the, "plunge" as it would be a shame to get a the SeaDek to protect your decks and then have a hard time removing it later. A more interesting option might be a product called Infinity woven vinyl in the, "better than teak" pattern. This is a newer product that is supposed to take the place of carpet in the cockpit's of boats that are prone to being wet a lot as it is waterproof with a non mildew or molding closed cell phone backing. It is lightweight and will loose lay or can be held in place with either some Velcro tape or canvas snaps.

Jim G.

Edited by jgortva on 05/15/17 - 2:10 PM

Unassailable
#10 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/17 - 12:26 PM

PurrSeaStance wrote:
Hey Bud! Yeah now I remember. Don't you have the foldable T Top on your Montauk? On "that other website" I've seen some really trick Sea Dek installs on Ballast Point's tournament boat, Ali's Tuna Jihad and recently Billy K's Fish Sauce, a Parker. Nothing has convinced me I need to add it to my boat as it seems it would make it incrementally more difficult to clean. The reviews are good though on how easy it is to install and rinse blood off. You should go talk to the guys at Dana Landing where they fabricate and install it and see some real examples though. It is nice material and easy on the feet. I'll stick with my Costco anti fatigue mat at helm station. For less than $20 every couple seasons it's hard to beat!
Let's go kill some tuna sometime?
Will

No T-top here. Their boats look awesome but yeah, you're right it probably will be harder to clean after a while. With the amount of lures I drop on the floor, I wonder if it will end up looking like the carpet my cat scratches! I need to start working less and fishing more. Dang tuna better show up closer for us.

Unassailable
#11 Print Post
Posted on 05/16/17 - 12:28 PM

jgortva wrote:
Unassailable,
I am not in the marine canvas or flooring business, but I make most of the canvas, seat covers, floormats and other soft goods needed for boats I have owned for about 10 years or so. I too like the look of SeaDek. However, when I was looking to get a quote for my larger boat, I know you said you are not concerned with price, however, when I was looking to get a quote to do the swim platform and cockpit area of my 36 foot Silverton, the price they came back with was more than the quote I got to totally re non skid and gel coat the same areas. Also, of concern is that they do glue the material down as it will not stick real well as a loose laid product or stay in place using snaps. Again, I like the look and idea of the product, I would just really do your homework before you make the, "plunge" as it would be a shame to get a the SeaDek to protect your decks and then have a hard time removing it later. A more interesting option might be a product called Infinity woven vinyl in the, "better than teak" pattern. This is a newer product that is supposed to take the place of carpet in the cockpit's of boats that are prone to being wet a lot as it is waterproof with a non mildew or molding closed cell phone backing. It is lightweight and will loose lay or can be held in place with either some Velcro tape or canvas snaps.

Jim G.

Wow, interesting about the pricing! I know they are not cheap but didn't know that they are more than that! Thanks for the information about the woven vinyl. I'm going to have to look where I can see some in person.

Thanks for the advise.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 20, 2024 - 5:07 AM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,988,767 unique visits