View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Bottom Paint - what to do
heimtun
#1 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/17 - 8:30 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

My hull is in OK shape - it has the remnants of bottom paint that doesn't look so good. You can see a little of it on the attached photo (if photo doesn't attach, you can see it on my profile page). I'm not even sure what type of paint it is... anti-fouling or not.
The boat is trailered and won't spend time in the water when not in use - except maybe for a week or two on vacation.
I'm curious of my options and your suggestions.

heimtun attached the following image:

[90.37Kb]
Wayne
1963 Sakonnet

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/17 - 8:38 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Honestly, you've got a ton of work to do there if you want to make that boat look better - no offense meant. So if looks are your priority, you'd find it a lot easier and cheaper just to start with a different boat.

If you don't want to do that would be inclined to just use it and enjoy it as is!

max366
#3 Print Post
Posted on 03/28/17 - 3:34 PM

I just finished a 1980 13ft with similar bottom paint issues. I painted it with Pettit Ultima Eco in white- the color matched the hull gelcoat color very closely. Other than the tape line, it was hard to see where the gelcoat stopped and the paint started. Something to consider.

jgortva
#4 Print Post
Posted on 03/29/17 - 5:50 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

I have stripped bottom paint off of boats in the past including a 13 foot sport. I did it to change bottom paint colors rather than trying to get the bottom back to pristine gel coat. I have never been able to get all the paint off in the little pores, scratches, and low spots in the hull to leave it unpainted after stripping. So, in the end I have always re painted the bottom. With that being said, no matter if you try to match the hull color or stay with the classic BW blue bottom paint, once you start painting you will have to touch up or re coat every couple of years if you use an ablative paint just from putting the boat on and off the trailer as it scuffs off easily as that is how it is designed to work. My advice would be if you decide to take on the project to use an epoxy bottom paint that is made for the water you will be boating in. It is much harder than an ablative and will probably give you multiple seasons with no touch ups necessary.

Jim G.

heimtun
#5 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/17 - 12:03 PM
Personal Page

tedious wrote:
Honestly, you've got a ton of work to do there if you want to make that boat look better - no offense meant. So if looks are your priority, you'd find it a lot easier and cheaper just to start with a different boat.

If you don't want to do that would be inclined to just use it and enjoy it as is!

Sorry not to have replied sooner - I forgot to turn "notify" on.

No offense taken, I know what how the boat looks - the photo was taken when I first got the boat - it looks a little better today.
Thanks for your input.

Wayne
1963 Sakonnet

heimtun
#6 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/17 - 12:04 PM
Personal Page

max366 wrote:
I just finished a 1980 13ft with similar bottom paint issues. I painted it with Pettit Ultima Eco in white- the color matched the hull gelcoat color very closely. Other than the tape line, it was hard to see where the gelcoat stopped and the paint started. Something to consider.

Thanks for your input.

Wayne
1963 Sakonnet

heimtun
#7 Print Post
Posted on 04/05/17 - 12:05 PM
Personal Page

jgortva wrote:
I have stripped bottom paint off of boats in the past including a 13 foot sport. I did it to change bottom paint colors rather than trying to get the bottom back to pristine gel coat. I have never been able to get all the paint off in the little pores, scratches, and low spots in the hull to leave it unpainted after stripping. So, in the end I have always re painted the bottom. With that being said, no matter if you try to match the hull color or stay with the classic BW blue bottom paint, once you start painting you will have to touch up or re coat every couple of years if you use an ablative paint just from putting the boat on and off the trailer as it scuffs off easily as that is how it is designed to work. My advice would be if you decide to take on the project to use an epoxy bottom paint that is made for the water you will be boating in. It is much harder than an ablative and will probably give you multiple seasons with no touch ups necessary.

Jim G.

Thanks for your input. I'll probably leave the hull as it is for now - except for some hole patching.

Wayne
1963 Sakonnet

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 3:59 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,701,667 unique visits