View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Anyone hear of a 1974 Outrage 21' Ribside?
Joe Kriz
#1 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/17 - 5:48 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

I have never heard of this one.
Looks like a professional restore from the photos?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boston-Whaler...2533320235

The Ribside was made in 1971 and 1972 only from the info in all the Boston Whaler catalogs.
http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=97

Anyone know anything about this?

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 02/21/17 - 7:53 PM

Comments: 16

Joe - that date is a mistake, I am sure. I believe the last Ribside made was hull #00722, and just before that, they mixed in a few earlier numbers of the newly done Smoothside. Maybe something like 00718, 00719, etc. Chuck Bennett told me the last ribside was the 00722 boat, and would have been manufactured sometime before Aug 1, 1972.

I am familiar with this boat that is being offered on Ebay. Don't hold me to the exact information, but it has been floating around for several years here in the Midwest, first offered for sale in Harbor Springs MI, a high end boating market.
I last saw it advertised up there about a year ago, for 42K, before eventaully being sold. From my perspective, the boat is badly overdone, over detailed and outfitted with too much woodwork, none of it original to Whaler's design.

I believe (but am not sure) that Mike Stennett of Nautical Lumber did the restoration as a project boat for profit, and then had a hard time selling it. All things said, the woodwork is beautiful and the kind of work Mike does - real yacht quality work. I think the original poor condition hull may have cost $2500. But it's not my kind of Whaler - too much homemade design and detail. And I don't like painted Whalers.

EJO
#3 Print Post
Posted on 02/22/17 - 9:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 6

Somebody must have liked it as it is no longer on ebay

Skipper E-J
m/v "Clumsy Cleat" a 2008 Montauk 150

JRP
#4 Print Post
Posted on 02/22/17 - 10:35 AM

Comments: 2

EJO wrote:
Somebody must have liked it as it is no longer on ebay

EJO,

As I see it, the period for bidding expired but the boat did not sell. There were 55 bids, the highest being a little over $22K, but the "reserve" set by the seller was not met. So the auction ended without a sale.

The listing is stil there and photos can be viewed if anyone is interested. Nice looking boat. But based on the seller's description, I think he or she is looking for a lot more than $22K for it!

vin197922outrage
#5 Print Post
Posted on 02/22/17 - 11:46 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 4

Guys.The boat came out of the midwest.The buyer said it was titled a 1974 but was a 1971 he believed.It was a nice restore whomever did it.We had it listed at our marina in Jersey last summer but no takers.He now traded it in on a formula.The dealer has it for sale himself now.

tom blinstrub
#6 Print Post
Posted on 02/23/17 - 7:38 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 0

Its for sale on craigslist for $ 34,900

JRP
#7 Print Post
Posted on 02/24/17 - 4:24 PM

Just for comparison's sake:

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/60...48415.html

ridethewhaler
#8 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/17 - 4:50 AM

Hi there, my husband and I are thinking about purchasing this boat but trying to track down the year discrepancy. Owner said he called Boston Whaler but I'm not clear yet (talking to him later today) if he verified the year or just that the hull is an Outrage, I'm not sure if he realized that the Ribside is an Outrage so trying to clarify what Whaler told him. Meantime, assuming he did discover that the hull is a 1974, would it be possible for the restorer to have taken a ribside cap and put it on a 1974 banana hull? We struggled a bit with how overdone the boat is but at the end of the day it's awfully pretty and you can tell a ton of work was poured into it, so hoping we can figure out what's going on with the year. Tricked out teak is one thing but a frankenboat is another. Also, I tried looking up Mike Stennett out in Michigan but can't find much, anyone know if he's still in business? I was going to reach out and ask him about the boat too, even just what he thinks about maintenance. Thanks for any help!

JRP
#9 Print Post
Posted on 03/07/17 - 4:20 PM

ridethewhaler wrote:
Hi there, my husband and I are thinking about purchasing this boat but trying to track down the year discrepancy. Owner said he called Boston Whaler but I'm not clear yet (talking to him later today) if he verified the year or just that the hull is an Outrage, I'm not sure if he realized that the Ribside is an Outrage so trying to clarify what Whaler told him. Meantime, assuming he did discover that the hull is a 1974, would it be possible for the restorer to have taken a ribside cap and put it on a 1974 banana hull? We struggled a bit with how overdone the boat is but at the end of the day it's awfully pretty and you can tell a ton of work was poured into it, so hoping we can figure out what's going on with the year. Tricked out teak is one thing but a frankenboat is another. Also, I tried looking up Mike Stennett out in Michigan but can't find much, anyone know if he's still in business? I was going to reach out and ask him about the boat too, even just what he thinks about maintenance. Thanks for any help!

It's not uncommon for an owner to have the model year wrong, especially on the older boats that have had a series of owners over the years. Sometimes it's just a typo, sometimes someone is misremembering, etc.

I think your question above (bolded) is one of the less likely possibilities.

If you like the boat and can get it for an acceptable price with a good survey, who cares if it's not exactly "factory" or "oem" anymore? If you like it and enjoy it, that 's what matters. Life is short -- don't sweat the little things.

But maybe compare it to the other one I posted a link to above, since it is a similar offering.

And, PS, welcome to Whaler Central !!

Edited by JRP on 03/07/17 - 5:29 PM

ridethewhaler
#10 Print Post
Posted on 03/08/17 - 10:11 AM

JRP wrote:
ridethewhaler wrote:

It's not uncommon for an owner to have the model year wrong, especially on the older boats that have had a series of owners over the years. Sometimes it's just a typo, sometimes someone is misremembering, etc.

I think your question above (bolded) is one of the less likely possibilities.

If you like the boat and can get it for an acceptable price with a good survey, who cares if it's not exactly "factory" or "oem" anymore? If you like it and enjoy it, that 's what matters. Life is short -- don't sweat the little things.

But maybe compare it to the other one I posted a link to above, since it is a similar offering.

And, PS, welcome to Whaler Central !!

I think you are right on all counts, thanks for the input!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 10:47 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,984,840 unique visits