View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Need some interior advice on 1969 13
Drafter
#1 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/17 - 8:41 AM

Comments: 0

Hello everyone,

I'm in the middle of restoring a 1969 13' standard that I picked up a few months ago. My next step is to drop in a new interior. My existing wood interior is really in pretty nice shape. The existing interior could be built upon going with a sport console. I would just start over going with the super sport option. Big money difference....

This was a one owner, garage kept, fresh water boat that had never had a single hole drilled in it! Now painted top, bottom and inside to fix dings, chips, and crazing. As this will be mostly a cove hopper for my wife and I, and less of a hard core fishing boat, my inclination is to go with a super sport interior with the large console and backrest.

Am I shooting myself in the foot by not going with the standard "sport" console that is more period correct for this year? I've spoken to Specialty Marine about their backrest adaption and brackets. They claim that they're really not that strong, and may break off unless pretty much just used for sitting and fishing. I'm also not a 115 pound 8th grader, so some driving comfort is a big factor.

Is there anyone that might have experience with both console and steering positions that could give me pros and cons of each? I will run a 1993 Yamaha 2 stroke 40 on this. If anyone has any performance data on that, I would love to hear that too!

Couple of pics attached of this boat coming along and its mother ship and namesake that we spent the last 3 years restoring.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra...GbNNpFLT1C
https://photos.google.com/search/_tra...SUzYkAai0P

Edited by Phil T on 01/17/17 - 9:08 AM

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/17 - 10:13 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Drafter, although I use my Supersport 15 for a number of things, my top priority for it is cove-hopping (love that term you invented!) with just myself and my wife on board. While the Supersport interior offers more and better seating than the Sport, it does not have a seatback on the port side of the front thwart. I typically sit on the stern thwart to starboard, and my wife on the front thwart to port, so I installed a folding seat to make things more comfortable for her - we're not teenagers either. I also raised the interior two inches to I'm not eating my knees, which gives you more usable storage space in the underseat compartment. You can see both of these on my personal page.

Specialty Marine sells a custom Supersport setup with seatbacks on both sides - I don't know if they'd build you a custom version 2" higher or not. It might be a little more expensive, but it really is true - happy wife, happy life!

Tim

rockinhitz34
#3 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/17 - 10:53 AM
Personal Page

Hi Drafter,

I have made the choice to convert a 1969 13' sport into a "super-sport." Although im not quite finished yet (havent been on the water so I cant really give too much insight) the largest drawback is obviously the space lost in the stern due to the full splashwell. I just made sure I could fit my fuel tanks and battery (maybe a cooler if I drop one fuel tank) before placing the interior. I also raised the stern thwart seat 2" so my knees arent in my chin. Sorry I dont have any more info, once I get the boat in the water I can tell you more Im sure...but hopefully that isnt too late.

All the best!

jgortva
#4 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/17 - 12:33 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Hello Drafter,
I do not have specific experience with converting to a Super Sport interior, but I do have comments on you replacing your original interior. My last 13 foot Sport restoration was a 1989 model. The gel coat was in mint condition for its age and only needed a buffing to bring it back to life. The original Sport Interior however, was in real bad shape with cracks in the grain of the seats that you could stick a dime into and go a 1/4 the depth of the coin into the cracks. I bought a new interior and went with a competitor of Specialty Marine's named Nautical Lumber out of Michigan. I do not believe he is still in business, but the photos of his interior next to Specialty Marines on both his website and detailed Ebay photos looked superior in regards to the thickness and quality of the wood to the epoxy coating and clear coat finish, etc. I bought the kit and when I installed it into the boat. there were some dimensions of the console and side panels that hold the bench seats in place that were smaller or just off when put side by side with the old interior. Also, of course, since there are no old growth hardwood trees anymore, the seats were laminated out of multiple pieces of wood rather than one solid plank. I ended up using the interior because the stain and finish looked so good and I figured I couldn't restore the old interior and nobody would notice but me. I put my old interior on Ebay for bids and the winner paid $300 for it, so I know there are others out there that know there is a significant difference between original and reproduction interiors. The buyer probably just flipped the seats upside down and refinished that side. With that being said, I do not believe the backrest of the Super Sport interior will give you anymore comfort than a sport interior. The add on sport or factory super sport backrests are in my opinion too far back to be used and will make no difference in comfort.
If it were my boat, I would refinish the original interior you have, add the console, and use for a season like that and see if you could live with it. If not, the only way I believe classic 13 foot sport bench seats can be made more comfortable is to bolt aftermarket fishing boat seats onto the original bench seats. They are available at Bass Pro. I hate the look of them, but I have to admit that Whalers I have ridden in that have them are a much more comfortable than with just the bench seat. They position you higher on the seat and have a backrest that is actually useable.

Jim G.

Edited by jgortva on 01/17/17 - 12:38 PM

Joe Kriz
#5 Print Post
Posted on 01/17/17 - 12:46 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Those links won't work for me even if I log into my Google account.

Drafter
#6 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/17 - 7:28 AM

Thank you for letting me know Joe. I've added them to a drop box and provided new
links. Maybe these will work
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7djjnh1n8t...7.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jhb7pxiij6b...r.jpg?dl=0

Drafter
#7 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/17 - 7:58 AM

jgortva, thank you very much for that info. I think you may be right on salvaging the original thwart seats. Mine are in pretty good shape for being 48 years old and are probably old growth lumber.
Good to know on the backrest not being that usable for the driver. I see that mainly for my wife to be able to lean back and put her feet up for a cruise.
I'm an architectural designer by trade and have some cad skills. I think I'll design and build my own side clamp boards to support a backrest like the super sport has, plus the ability to raise the rear thwart up 4" like everyone seems to like. I can print out full size templates with my plotter to make it pretty easy. If it works out, I'll be happy to provide the templates to this forum for anyone to download and print out at their local reprographic shop. No question that a bolt on bass boat seat would be 100% more comfortable and usable. I love this boat for it's heritage and style much more than its utilitarian use. Function follows form for me on this one vs. form following function.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0w8492znhp...6.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3iulbl81bx...9.jpg?dl=0

jgortva
#8 Print Post
Posted on 01/18/17 - 8:49 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Drafter,
No Problem. I feel the same way you do about the heritage and the clean unencumbered looks of an original classic sport. I think you have formulated the best plan and I would like to see pictures of your final product and I believe others on this site will too.

Jim G.

tedious
#9 Print Post
Posted on 01/22/17 - 4:58 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Although I cannot speak to the Sport model, I have to respectfully disagree that the factory seatbacks on the Supersport are too far back to be used, and make no difference in comfort - they make a huge difference to me, certainly. I am 6' 2" and have some lower back issues and I don't think I could drive my Supersport without the backrest. It's not so much something to lean against (it's not tall enough) but something to brace yourself against. Think of the difference between sitting on a barstool with a back vs. without - huge difference in comfort, right?

I like the idea of going custom and keeping the general style of the original, but creating something that fits your needs - that's what I did. Please don't add bass boat seats - they are a travesty on a mahogany thwart.

Tim

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 1:12 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,699,897 unique visits