View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1989 Boston Whaler 27 FC Restoration Costs
HTownGuppy
#1 Print Post
Posted on 12/19/16 - 5:55 PM

Comments: 0

Hello all,

I'm new to posting on here because I just got back into restoring my Whaler and love this site for so much useful information!

I've been into the restoration of my 1989 27 FC now for 2.5 years. I took some time off from it due to boat partner involvement and budgetary issues. I bought this boat for $13.5k with a brand new triple axle trailer. There were no engines on it as the previous owner ran out of money. But he had installed a new Armstrong bracket and had plumbed the entire boat. I also had two 2010 Verado 300's that I had traded for some work so that helped with my decision to get a larger boat. I had my fiberglass guy come and look at the structure and he said it looked solid so I trust the bones are good.

The first thing I did was to gut the entire interior and sand the exterior. The gelcoat was bad on the boat and I couldn't get it back to even semi-new. Then I had my fiberglass guy fill all the holes, the helm had large holes that were all glassed in. These were all holes that had previously been cut for electronics or speakers, not structural. Then they painted with Awlcraft the entire boat, interior and exterior(except cabin). I had the engines repainted as well(they look like glass). I also had a bottom job.

I then hung the engines and have partially rigged them. If anyone has Verados, which I know some of you do, they are a beast to rig and expensive. We installed the steering pump, DTS, all the controls, linkage, etc. I'm also buying the Mercury VesselView with the only analog gauges being fuel. In the process we added new Lenco trim tabs to the rear as the ones on there were shot.

I have a ton of other items I've bought or had made: plexiglass rear lids, all bilge and other pumps, fuse holders, circuit breakers, battery relays. Some of this was all bought on ebay used so I've been budgeting somewhat wisely.

With all that said though...I'm in the boat for around $35k to date(yes that includes the engines). I've budgeted $7k on electric and another $5k on the interior. That will put me to around $50k but could see it go up to $60k if I just go crazy on interior or electronics. My question is: is that way too much on a restoration project of this magnitude? I look at the newer Whalers and see that I can't get into anything for much less than $50k used and forget about a new Whaler of this size. I think this is going to be one bad ass modern but still vintage Whaler. But I'm not a restorer so I have no idea.

Anyway, any comments good and bad are welcome!

And thanks for all the help so far with your previous posts!

HTOWNGUPPY

1986 Boston Whaler 27FC - Restoration/Modification

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 12/19/16 - 8:17 PM

My 1979 22' Whaler Revenge is in the same state as yours. Dry for the second year as I am customizing. $10,000 boat and trailer, $3500 rail upgrades, jackplate and reinforcement $1500, misc. work from shops, $4000, motor upgrade $8000, Raymarine electronics/new wiring/auto pilot/radar $8000, teak $1000, anchor winch/pulpit $1000, hardtop $1000, on and on. My time which I lost track of. When done my boat as I want it. A used 2005 Montauk here in northern CA at $30,000 and when I am finished I will have twice the boat and feel safe and secure. The question is not if it is worth it but is this the boat for you. You have answered your own question when you did price comparisons. More power to you and do not let it get you down......good luck. My boat will never be for sale.
Garris

jgortva
#3 Print Post
Posted on 12/20/16 - 5:53 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

HtownGuppy,
I think we have all sunk as much or more money into a project than it is worth. I chalk that up to a, "labor of Love" and like the previous comments most of these projects were not completed to make money or even break even. They were made just like restoring a car as more than just a hobby. With that being said the figures on your project just don't seem that out of line when trying to purchase a new or newer boat that will perform like your Whaler will. The last new 27 foot boat I bought was in 1999 and it listed for around $75,000 and I was able to negotiate that price down to $60,000 or so. It wasn't a Whaler, but they made the same model up until 2012 except the list price had leapt up to $99,000. The point being that with the upside down boat market, you would have a hard time finding even a non Whaler boat in that size and class that is new enough to give you what you will end up with on your completed project. The reason I say the boat market is upside down is that I could buy an older low hour 35 foot powerboat whether it be an express or small fly bridge for what you will have invested in your project and then it seems like you are spending alot, but that is because in this market, the small trailer able boats are in higher demand as they are more versatile, cheaper to run, and have much lower carrying costs in terms of storage and dockage.

Jim G.

Edited by jgortva on 12/20/16 - 5:55 AM

HTownGuppy
#4 Print Post
Posted on 12/24/16 - 9:21 AM

jgortva wrote:
HtownGuppy,
The point being that with the upside down boat market, you would have a hard time finding even a non Whaler boat in that size and class that is new enough to give you what you will end up with on your completed project. The reason I say the boat market is upside down is that I could buy an older low hour 35 foot powerboat whether it be an express or small fly bridge for what you will have invested in your project and then it seems like you are spending alot, but that is because in this market, the small trailer able boats are in higher demand as they are more versatile, cheaper to run, and have much lower carrying costs in terms of storage and dockage.

Jim G.

Jim, You're absolutely correct about this market being upside down. I've looked out there and found some really great deals on the larger boats. It's a shame really but I guess people don't want the upkeep and the expense. But I agree that it's all in the boat owner and what they want. I'm still going to keep costs down but am not going to continue comparing this boat to others. Plus I get to restore this boat to what I like and how I want it:-)

1986 Boston Whaler 27FC - Restoration/Modification

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 6:24 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.16 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,032,667 unique visits