View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
muck & grunge within hull
robb huff
#1 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/16 - 7:30 AM

Comments: 0

curious - I'm in the process of wiping down and cleaning a recently purchased 2004 hull and am wondering where all the black muck and grunge accumulated from.

Boat was not submerged, but every surface as seen from each access hole and interior hull surface is covered with an easily removed muck. a little clorex spray, toothbrush scrub and it wipes right off, but almost has a dead mold appearance. curious if anyone else suffers same.

robb - 2004 conquest 305

porthole2
#2 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/16 - 8:08 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

Black mold. Gets everywhere where the surface can accumulate humidity and not have adequate ventilation e.g. the bilge.

Get yourself some Tile-X Mildew "root penetrator". Spray, let sit, wash down.

I've never seen this is the stores and usually order wherever it is cheaper, amazon or eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/Tilex-Mildew-P...penetrator

Thanks, Duane

robb huff
#3 Print Post
Posted on 11/21/16 - 8:42 AM

you nailed it. will purchase cleaner you suggested. probably took 5 years off my life breathing this stuff....but it does come off easily

bob camire
#4 Print Post
Posted on 11/22/16 - 7:43 PM

Comments: 4

exactly the way i found mine after purchase..muck and grunge describes it perfectly..after cleaning mine to a degree, i always put some tide detergent down there and it continues to clean hidden unreachable areas from constant motion.congrats on your purchase

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

robb huff
#5 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/16 - 8:50 AM

so....spray it throughout the hull (or add Tide) and then hose down completely - then lean on the bilge pump to evacuate residue?

bob camire
#6 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/16 - 6:49 PM

Comments: 4

if i can remember correctly, i started with hosing it all down maybe using simple green and scrubbing..let it out the drain..on land..while keeping in the ocean, added some tide ..just a few onuces..the constant motion got it under the fuel tank and areas unreachable, and kept self cleaning over a season or 2..good luck..my lower areas are sparkly clean now..ps also had to clean the bilge float and bilge cuz they were fouled

2006 Dauntless 160, 115 HP Merc 4 Stroke, 2012 Venture Trailer

porthole2
#7 Print Post
Posted on 11/23/16 - 7:45 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 1

The Tide method works in the bilge areas that have water sitting.
Ive always used Dawn and bleach. Keep in mind, if you have an oily bilge you can't pump it overboard.

Thanks, Duane

ursaminor
#8 Print Post
Posted on 11/26/16 - 1:58 PM
Personal Page

Sounds like you've already cleaned your boat but just in case. I've had very good luck with a product called Jomax for my spring cleanups. It gets all the winter dirt, black mold that forms when the boat is under its winter cover off with almost no scrubbing, even the no skid areas of the deck. I wet the boat, mix the solution per instructions (water / Jomax / bleach) in a pump sprayer, spray it on and let it sit a few minutes and then rinse it off. The boat looks like new when I'm done. Most hardware stores will carry it, it's primarily used to clean houses in preparation for paint.

1989 Montauk 17 / 2012 90 HP Evinrude E-TEC

robb huff
#9 Print Post
Posted on 12/07/16 - 6:30 PM

Duane: your recommended old spray (not available in stores) is awesome! really appreaciate it.

Robb - 2004 Conquest 305

porthole2 wrote:
Black mold. Gets everywhere where the surface can accumulate humidity and not have adequate ventilation e.g. the bilge.

Get yourself some Tile-X Mildew "root penetrator". Spray, let sit, wash down.

I've never seen this is the stores and usually order wherever it is cheaper, amazon or eBay.

https://www.amazon.com/Tilex-Mildew-P...penetrator

wezie
#10 Print Post
Posted on 12/13/16 - 6:49 AM

Thanks for all the suggested cleaners. These hints are very helpful.
I do try to remember to take advantage of wind and use fans if using chemical cleaners.
The fumes mostly stay inside the boat for us to breathe. We only get two lungs and two eyes per go around.

I have had great luck leaving liq. det. In bilge, and allowing time and motion to do the hard work. Also as mentioned, coat the areas and walk away for awhile.
Two cautions: detergent around mechanical, lubricated parts, may dissolve the oil or grease. Bleach, and a few other chemicals will attack metal. One comment was to the effect that bleach attacked everything but the inside of the bottle it came in. So leaving it in the bilge for any length of time might not be a great idea. Flush well!
Begin with the soft cleaners and get more agressive as needed.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 10:13 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 11
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.21 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,704,912 unique visits