View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
22' Guardian
Jimmyd70
#1 Print Post
Posted on 10/22/16 - 9:42 AM

Comments: 0

Hi Guy's I am new here and this is my first post. I am considering a 1988 22' Guardian. The Boat has been refitted with new 200 HP 4 stroke Yamaha, and new electronics. I looked at the boat and it looks great other than a few paint bubbles. My question is in general what is your opinion of the Guardian boats? is there anything specific I should look for before investing in a survey? This deal would involve a collector car (1969 Corvette conv) for the boat and some cash to make the trade value even. All opinions will be appreciated.

gchuba
#2 Print Post
Posted on 10/22/16 - 8:46 PM

The Guardian hull is a commercial application. Thicker and better built than standard hulls. Get the boat surveyed by a reputable surveyor. They would give you a better perspective, Finnegan recently posted "what to look for" and hull painting was one of the topics. Good luck.
Garris

tedious
#3 Print Post
Posted on 10/23/16 - 5:15 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Jimmy, the Guardians were heavier-duty versions of standard Whalers - they had thicker glass so held up better to impacts. Most of them were used in law enforcement, commercial, or military applications and got beat up pretty badly - lots of time on and in the water, lots of different operators, none of whom had any interest in keeping the boat in good condition. Hopefully the one you are looking at is the exception, but I would be very, very careful here - the seller may have found an old junker at a surplus auction, freshened it up a bit, and be looking to get his hands on your Corvette before you learn enough to protect yourself. I hope the seller is offering you a big chunk of cash, not the other way 'round.

Is the motor brand new, or used? Yamaha has been making 4-stroke 200s for a long time. 200 horses on a 22 Guardian (heavier than a standard Whaler) is relatively underpowered, which is another potential red flag - could be the seller trying to make the boat look good even though it won't perform very well.

Likewise, "a few paint bubbles" could be a sign of many things, and most of them are not good.

Hopefully it's on the up and up, but be sure to do your homework! You may wish to see if a local member, more familiar with Whalers, can come with you to check it out.

Edited by tedious on 10/23/16 - 5:19 AM

Jimmyd70
#4 Print Post
Posted on 10/23/16 - 8:20 AM

Thanks Guy's appreciate the info. I plan to have another survey done. The current owner had one done last January for insurance purposes. I will now get my own done.

Many Thanks
Jim

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 23, 2024 - 2:07 PM
Users Online
Welcome
GreedyGoose00
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 10
· Members Online: 1
· Total Members: 50,018
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,030,111 unique visits