View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Possible first boat, first whaler questions about ID and condition
hawkman71
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/16 - 12:56 PM

Comments: 1

Hi all, please help me, a first-time poster. I've started to read up a lot on Whalers once I found one for sale in a nearby town. I was interested in getting a boat, it seemed to fit my bill, and although it was out of my price range, I did start to fall in love with Whalers (or at least, the idea of having one - I haven't had a real relationship with one yet). :)

I've never owned a boat, nor operated one much. I've fished with friends and brothers-in-laws in the rivers and sounds of eastern NC, operating their boats to some extent. I've heard their stories of breakdowns and repairs and I've read a fair bit on this forum. I know enough to know that a boat is not a 'hold in the water from which you receive money" but the other way around possibly.

Well, I found another on the side of the road for sale. 16/17' hull I think. Hull ID 3A18xx which I think puts it as a 1970 model according to http://www.whalercentral.com/articles...icle_id=61 where it says "1970...........3A1301 thru 3A4100". Not sure about the rest. I THOUGHT that when I'd first done my research I came up with a 1969 Eastport. However, it doesn't have the stern seat, and has that wood deck up front that I assume is completely custom and not a BW option. It appears to be a BW console, although incomplete.

I'd love to have some help in identification of the boat as well as observations/advice about its condition. I'll post some pics of its scars. Not sure about the motor, either.

There is one photo which shows part of a trailer tire in it. Next to it, is a small circular indentation in the floor. if I recall correctly, there were a number of these in the floor. Not sure what they are or why they are there. At first, I thought they were from holes drilled into the hull to dry it out as I've seen on this forum before.

I'd love to get all the advice I can get, and I appreciate your time!

Here's a link to the photo album (with individual photo links below):
https://goo.gl/photos/ByqBsoRkZvFBVj8D6kZvFBVj8D6

(needed to remove individual links because they wanted an account and password to view them)

Edited by Joe Kriz on 09/18/16 - 1:50 PM

Tom Hemphill
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/16 - 1:35 PM
Personal Page

The front platform looks like an original feature of the Sakonnet model of that period. The wooden console also appears to be original but is missing the windshield. My 16-foot 1970 Whaler has the same circular depressions in the deck; they seem to be original. What is your question about the fuel filter mounted to the splash well?

The battle scars are serious but could be repaired by an committed amateur. It is probably not practical to fix the gelcoat crazing. The boat is missing a lot of its original equipment: pilot seat, side rails and possibly bow rail. I would not expect much from the motor, which looks to be from the 1980s. The trailer looks unloved. Is the boat registered in your state?

Joe Kriz
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/16 - 1:55 PM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

From the one link with all the photos, the front platform is homemade and not a Boston Whaler platform. It is Custom

The seat is also aftermarket.

As Tom mentions, the console does look original.

My guess is that it started out its life as a Nauset.
http://www.whalercentral.com/userphot...lbum_id=17

The only way to know for sure it to contact Boston Whaler and give them your Stencil number of 3A18xx and they can tell you what model it was when it left the factory.

As of now, it is a 1970 Custom 16 model and you can make any kind of interior you want that suits you.

Let us know if you find out anything more.

fitz73222
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/18/16 - 3:15 PM

Comments: 0

The engine is also a 25" shaft length engine on a 20" transom. The engine has been raised on the transom but it will be no where near enough to get it to the correct engine height. The good news is that the engine has an extension kit on it so it can be made to the correct length by removing the extension housing, driveshaft stub shaft, water tube and shift shaft extensions and change out the mounting studs for the gearcase to standard length. The extension kit came from Bay Marine, installed a number of them.

hawkman71
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/23/16 - 7:31 PM

Thank you very much, Tom, Fitz, and Joe.

(Joe - my apologies about the individual links. I'm surprised the main album link worked, then! Thanks for cleaning up my post. I appreciate it).

It did appear that the deck was custom - I think it was of pressure-treated decking boards. I see that a lot of the original parts are missing, and not sure that I would be taking it on as a complete restoration project. As Joe said, make it into whatever I want it to be.

What I want one for is fishing the sound, taking the family (part of it anyway - got 4 kids and a wife!).

I have to read up on the motor. Is there a chance that thing still runs?

Re: the fuel filter. I was just curious if that's normal for it to be mounted there.

The steering cables are detached and I'm not sure what the status is of the console.

The boat has an FL registration on it.

I'll call the seller and get some info.

Thanks!

hawkman71
#6 Print Post
Posted on 06/10/17 - 9:48 AM

Re-visiting this thread. Life got in the way of buying this (or any) boat. A daughter going to college, you know. However, - she just got a full tuition ride, so I admit I'm peeking again. :) I do need to buy a new family vehicle first. Ours is worn out.

I stopped by the boat not too long after my last post a year ago. The guy fixes boat motors and was selling it for somebody. He said someone had left an offer for $1500 or $1800 and the owner did not accept it. That was well over a year ago (the offer) as I only talked to him 11 months ago.

He said the engine ran fine although he'd probably do a tune-up of some sort. Carb, I guess.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 3:04 PM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.31 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,701,065 unique visits