View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
2004 160 Dauntless Repower
Jomass
#1 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 3:29 PM

Comments: 0

I have a 2004 with a Merc 90 2 stroke that I bought a few months ago. The motor still runs pretty good but it has seen its days. I want to repower with a 90 Yamaha 4-stroke or possibly a 115.
Here's my dilemma, the cost to do this is going to be over $10k with new controls and what not. The boat is otherwise in good shape. There are a couple of hairline cracks on the gunwale port side about 3 inches long, but nothing anywhere else. The steering wheel and steering in general could use some help too. Otherwise a good detailing should make it look almost new.
Anyway, I am weighing just selling the boat outright and buying brand new. not necessarily a whaler but something in the $25k or under range.
First off, is it worth investing into the repower and other minor fixes? I know this is subjective, but what I mean is can I expect a solid 5-10 years more out of this without worrying about other major problems? Is there anything that I should look for or be concerned with? My gut tells me to keep this and I do like the boat, but I want to make a sound informed decision.
The idea of having a brand new Scout 175 Sportfish, or similar sounds enticing. I don't have tons of time or money to keep wrenching on an older boat, so new is appealing.

And finally if I do repower with a 4 stroke, will the added 50 lbs or so be a problem? Will it still perform well with a 90 or should I go to 115? Does adding this weight pose any other issues?
Thanks,

Jomass
#2 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 3:43 PM

By the way, I forgot to add that I paid $12k for the boat back this past April.

JRP
#3 Print Post
Posted on 09/13/16 - 4:13 PM

Comments: 2

Tough call.

In your shoes, I might ask the Scout dealer what they'd offer in trade for the Dauntless as is. That would be one datapoint.

As for repowering, would you consider another brand? If you went with a Mercury 115 Fourstroke, not only would it be lighter (359 lbs) than the Yamaha 115 but it would also be cheaper. I would think you could put a Merc 115 on your boat for darn close to $8K. That engine has a very good reputation.

No matter which brand you choose for a repower, unless you plan to keep the boat for a long time don't expect to recoup your investment. We repower older boats (not that yours is all that old, though) for the benefits of having the new engine -- not because it makes financial sense, usually.

butchdavis
#4 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 7:30 AM

IMO, as a Dauntless 16 owner for ten years, a 115 HP engine will result in a much better boat. Stern weight with the boat is important. Mine was very happy with a 1999 115 HP Evinrude FICHT engine but unfortunately I don't recall the weight.

If it was my choice I would look into the E-Tec 115HO engine which, though heavier than my old FICHT (I believe), should provide fantastic performance with about 130 HP output.

The Dauntless 16 is probably the best, strongest, safest small boat produced in the past several years. I often regret selling mine to buy a larger Whaler and if I had it back I'd keep it until death interfered.

Scouts are decent boats but not close to on par with Whalers, particularly in the small boat line. They are of conventional construction and offer no special features. A Google search of Scout boats may be worth your time.

Butch

Jomass
#5 Print Post
Posted on 09/14/16 - 7:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'm off to the Newport RI boat show this weekend. Hopefully I'll walk away with a sound decision one way or another.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 5:29 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Jsantos74
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,019
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,047,841 unique visits