View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Older Whaler Market Value - 1969 Minot
Brian Reynolds
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/31/16 - 2:57 PM

Comments: 0

I am a marine surveyor and recently was asked to provide an appraisal value on a 1969 Boston Whaler Minot, a 16' 7" vessel. I have searched my usual sites and the internet and the figures are all over the place. Local dealers have not been helpful. I have seen them advertised on the internet from over $9,000 to $5,000 plus. The boat is in poor condition with crazing all over the exterior of the hull and some amount inside. There is an improperly repaired section of fiberglass on starboard side of transom. HIN # was not available (I did not see a tag or marking) and it appears prior owner got a HIN # from NJ DMV so they could obtain a title that is now located on top side of transom, port side. The hull stencil is visible on inside of transom. Boat was checked with moisture meter and the transom and a good portion of the aft end of vessel peg the moisture meter at "wet" readings. There is an older 70 hp Evinrude on the back in fair condition but I am not concerned putting a value on it. This vessel falls outside the realm of what I normally look at and am hoping some of you Whaler experts can help me with a decent appraisal value. I assume because of the age, this boat may now be considered a "classic" and may well be worth a great deal more than I originally believed. I would very much appreciate the assistance from anyone on this forum.

Thank you!

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/16 - 6:33 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Brian -

Is the exterior crazing fine, small cracks or larger ones?

Does the boat have the standard interior, rails and other hardware?
Is there a trailer; age and condition?

Any photos we can see for appraisal assistance?

mtown
#3 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/16 - 10:41 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

A few years ago I extensively shopped for a "project" boat of the size and age you are discussing. Based on that experience I would say the hull you describe is worth $3000-$4000.

I paid $4000 for a 1966 Currituck in very good shape, with a usable galvanized trailer, and a 1989 90 hp Yamaha motor that needed no work. Felt I got a great deal. It was purchased in NJ.

pederj
#4 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/16 - 12:10 PM
Personal Page

The boat is described as being in poor condition with crazing with bad repairs, it's wet on the inside, the motor is fair, and we do not know anything about the trailer. Just my guess, but if it does have a trailer, it will be in fair to poor condition just like the boat. Based on the original poster's description, I would think this boat is worth approximately $1500. However, photos may adjust that price up or down.

mtown
#5 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/16 - 1:58 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

pederj wrote:
The boat is described as being in poor condition with crazing with bad repairs, it's wet on the inside, the motor is fair, and we do not know anything about the trailer. Just my guess, but if it does have a trailer, it will be in fair to poor condition just like the boat. Based on the original poster's description, I would think this boat is worth approximately $1500. However, photos may adjust that price up or down.

I should have qualified my guess by saying that it would be at the top end of value.

Perichbrothers
#6 Print Post
Posted on 08/01/16 - 8:06 PM

I bet on craigslist it would sell for $3k,
maybe more or but I doubt less,
also depending on the season.
There's a market that like beater whalers more than cream puffs!
TP

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 10:41 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,984,775 unique visits