View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
waxing and rubbing compound?
mark78
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/16 - 7:41 PM

Comments: 0

Just got this 13' Sport, has some small cracking here and there, I herd of another name for this but don't know what you call it. It is not bad considering it has sat for the last 20 plus years. Can I use rubbing compound and then wax the inside of the boat to get rid of some of the oxidation. If so what type of compound and what kind of wax should I use. This thing is really not to bad. Any help would be appreciated. I might want to post another Post, but am new to this site, so forgive me. The motor is a 1962 Johnson, I am going to try and get it to running condition, but it it turns out to be just a boat anchor what would be a good replacement. California has a lot of lakes that are Four Stroke only now, and considering the way this state is going they all will be at some time. Also when you buy a new motor do they hook up the steering controls or do you do it your self. Not to confident in doing so. Again sorry for being so long winded, but I Love this site and am so stoked to be a member and obtaining so much info from all of you. Thank You Mark78

tedious
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/16 - 6:52 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

Mark, there are many different brands of compound and wax, and everyone has their favorite. They are all pretty good - it's probably fair to say that using them properly, and re-waxing from time to time, is more important than the particular products used.

I have used a fairly complex set of products from Gel Coat Labs, and also an all-in-one product from 3M called Marine Restorer and Wax

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...&psc=1

Both gave good results, but the 3M product was a single step, so that's what I have continued on with.

For both, I used a Porter-Cable 7424Xp Random Orbit Polisher - a good investment, which can be used on boats and cars.

Tim

Edited by Phil T on 07/27/16 - 11:49 AM

Phil T
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/27/16 - 11:53 AM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

If the gelcoat is chalky (wipe your finger and see it) you should start with a heavy duty rubbing compound.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/...g+Compound

If no chalk, go with Tim's recommendation.

Follow this with 3m Finess-it as a finishing step before wax.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/...g+Material

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 6:33 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.18 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,709,731 unique visits