View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Help me re-wire Montauk Stern light
BBQ Boy
#21 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/16 - 11:46 AM

Comments: 0

What are these two wires coming from underneath the panel from the gunwhale? I'm guessing it's from the dash switch?

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/BBQR...x.jpg.html

http://s178.photobucket.com/user/BBQR...1.jpg.html

Joe Kriz
#22 Print Post
Posted on 07/23/16 - 11:49 AM
Site Owner
Personal Page
Personal Album
Photo Albums
Project Albums

Comments: 452

Those are the positive and negative wires to your bow light which is why your bow light works.

See post #16 on the first page of your thread here:
http://www.whalercentral.com/forum/vi...ost_143902

gchuba
#23 Print Post
Posted on 07/24/16 - 8:54 AM

You show pictures and ask questions......but research and look at how they are connected on the other end. Who knows what was done to your boat by previous ownership. I truly doubt (as well as hope) there are no splices midway. Get down and dirty.....lay on your back and stick your head up under the connections......curse when you lean back and ruin a pair of glasses (like I have done).......and really get to know the wiring and fusing of you boat. You may have a poorly placed aftermarket inline fuse that is blown. Who knows until you research.
Garris

BBQ Boy
#24 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/16 - 7:04 AM

gchuba wrote:
You show pictures and ask questions......but research and look at how they are connected on the other end. Who knows what was done to your boat by previous ownership. I truly doubt (as well as hope) there are no splices midway. Get down and dirty.....lay on your back and stick your head up under the connections......curse when you lean back and ruin a pair of glasses (like I have done).......and really get to know the wiring and fusing of you boat. You may have a poorly placed aftermarket inline fuse that is blown. Who knows until you research.
Garris

I have been doing that as well. Thanks.

gchuba
#25 Print Post
Posted on 07/26/16 - 9:01 AM

Good. Are the connections factory original. Any changes in the wire color or sizing from the other end. Have you run tests for continuity with the wire or switches. Charge getting through the switch. Have you checked the negative connection in the wire. A simple test you might run is put the switch in the on position.....take the light that you know works and attach one of the wires to the negative of you battery with a temporary connection....take the other wire from the light take turns connecting to the different wires at the stern area.
Garris

BBQ Boy
#26 Print Post
Posted on 08/09/16 - 4:26 PM

I haven't had time to look uno this any further, but the other night I was fishing and I started to head in as it got dark. I decided to play with the light and hooked it up. NaDa!!! So i said the hell with it and drove back to the ramp without the light working. All of a sudden he light came on when I have the motor a lot of power in the hole shot and the light came on for about 10 seconds. When i backed off the throttle it stopped working. I couldn't get the light to do it again.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 25, 2024 - 12:39 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Kukulkan
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,023
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,626
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.17 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,061,939 unique visits