View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
Can you rust proof a steel trailer with 95% zinc spray
Nick168
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/16 - 3:42 PM

Comments: 0

I have a old fresh water bass trailer that I want to some how make rust proof on a budget .. Can the 95% zinc spray work if I prep and spray the entire trailer

Finnegan
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/13/16 - 10:42 PM

Comments: 16

Based on my experience with cold galvanizing compound spray paint, I would say no. It is a soft, not very durable and not very long lasting material, with minimal rust protection. If you will notice, no trailer manufacturer offers a trailer with such a final coating. They always use paint. CGC paint is most recommended for touching up old galvanized surfaces that are begininng to show early rusting and wear.

You would be wise to either use a good quality paint or consider a new/used trailer.

bradsc
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 4:42 AM
Personal Page

Unfortunately no. We did some welding on a buddies trailer and used the cold galv spray and it did not protect it. I had my Sport 15's trailer hot dipped by a local galvanizer. That is the best way to help protect a metal trailer from salt water.

If you go the used way, look for an aluminum trailer. If you are going to trailer a good bit and frequent salt water, there will not be a "budget" method. Even on an aluminum trailer in salt water, you will have to replace springs and axles eventually.

mtown
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 6:05 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

Look into Aluthane at Progressive epoxy .com $100/gallon.
The zinc paint is a waste of time. I bought a new galv. trailer years ago and sprayed every nut and bolt with an industrial zinc paint. Less than a year later it looked as if I had done nothing.
for little money, I have not used Aluthane but it seems like a good alternative

I agree with others that an aluminum or galvanized trailer should be in your future plans.

butchdavis
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 6:55 AM

No, it just wont work. Get another trailer for salt water use. If you try to use the old one it will soon let you down at the worst possible time.

The only way I can imagine rust proofing a painted trailer would be to COMPLETELY disassemble, acid dip the pieces to remove all paint, completely rinse and hot dip galvanize all pieces. Then reassemble using only stainless steel hardware. Even then I'm not sure I would entirely trust the result.

Butch

tedious
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 7:32 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

I used a cold galvanize spray to cover the bare metal when I installed a swing tongue a few years ago. It has been in a saltwater environment ever since, but I confess I have not knelt down and looked inside the tongue with a flashlight. I will do so this weekend and bring back a report.

Tim

bradsc
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 8:06 AM
Personal Page

Tedious.......I hope you are not dipping your trailer tongue in saltwater every time you launch and retrieve. The OP is talking about doing his entire trailer.

tedious
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 9:03 AM
Personal Page

Comments: 2

No Brad, of course not - in fact I "dip" the trailer as little as possible, unlike many others who seem determined to launch the car and boat at the same time!

However, the salt fogs on the Maine coast are incredibly destructive to metals - really tough environment even without any submergence going on.

Tim

bradsc
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/14/16 - 9:36 AM
Personal Page

Tim, I know you don't! Also I know what you mean about launching the boat along with the car. On another web site there is a thread about launching your entire rig. Some people think it is funny, but it is really sad. I lived in Newport RI in the 70's and remember a lot of fog. Never thought about it having salt in it!

Tim, Happy boating and be careful up there!

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 28, 2024 - 8:33 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 13
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.20 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,697,110 unique visits