View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
1997 17' Dauntless DC Electrical Problem
hamiltonstreet11
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/10/16 - 7:50 PM

Comments: 0

We have had this BW for 6 years, no problems. This Spring both the Bilge pump and the Running Lights stopped working. A little investigating, discovered no ground at the Bilge Pump. Have not worked on the running lights yet.
Checked all the ground connections today. Since it is a Dual Console, it's hard to trace the wires, a wiring schematic would be helpful, suggestions welcome.

dauntless-n-miami
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/11/16 - 12:39 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Comments: 0

Hello hamiltonstreet11, check your console light switch for proper ground and that corrosion hasn't caused an internal fault or at the wire connections. You can use a multi-meter (in continuity setting) to see if switch functions. If switch checks out then read on.

Since you have the big brother to my Dauntless 15 I will conclude your Navigation light wiring should be similarly run as is mine. If you have the single (dual lens Red/Green) Perko bow light the wiring is typically ran through the rub-rail on your starboard side. Chase the wiring from your helm station to the gunnel to better determine where the wiring exits out. Most likely it will exit just under your stern light deck mount.

If you want to confirm, simply pull out a short amount of your rub-rail insert (black vinyl tubing) where you suspect wiring comes through gunnel.

With my Dauntless 15 I found that just under where my stern/anchor light mounts (cavity in gunnel) is a wiring distribution point for bow and stern Navigation lights. I found corrosion with spliced wires and Butt-terminals.

It's possible that the bulb contacts are causing a fault so remove the chrome bow light cover and inspect, while there pull up the light assembly and inspect wiring connections just inside the deck hole. Pull carefully to expose wires.

One other thing I uncovered while redoing my nav. lights, where the wiring exits/enters the hull from rub-rail the drilled through holes (roughly 5/16 diameter) lacked adequate sealing thus allowing minor water intrusion into the hull.

If you removed any of the nav. light fixtures (bow/stern) remember to reseal with appropriate marine sealant.

Hope this helps...best regards,
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 19, 2024 - 12:48 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Mjglawrence
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 12
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,015
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.14 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,978,442 unique visits