View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
classic outrage 18 self bailing?
jcdawg83
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 12:49 PM

Comments: 0

I am looking at a 1985 Outrage 18 on craigslist. I currently have a classic Montauk and I would like to step up a little to an Outrage 18. One reason I am thinking of changing is the fact the Montauk is not truly self bailing. I have looked at a classic Outrage in the past but I can't remember if, or how, they were fully self bailing.

If I leave the classic Outrage tied at a dock and a storm dumps rain in it, will all the water run out of the back without the need for any sort of bilge pump? I am not a fan of boats that need a bilge pump to get rid of water that finds it's way into the cockpit.

Phil T
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 1:04 PM
Administrator
Personal Page
Personal Album
Project Albums

Comments: 6

Both the Montauk and Outrage 18 are self bailing not self draining.

Each boat will have some water in the bilge area. Any additional water will drain out. It is the same concept as a toilet. Add additional water and the level in the bowl will return to the original level.

There are no Boston Whaler models that I know of that are completely dry.

I would leave a 13, 15, Montauk, Outrage 18 or Montauk 150 or 170 on a mooring or dock without a plug.

Blackduck
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 1:18 PM
Personal Page

Leaving an Outrage 18 with the drains open will allow enough water to sit on the floor to subject the fuel tank cavity to almost certain water infiltration.

Walter Reynolds
1973 Boston Whaler 16 Nauset 90 HP Yamaha

mtown
#4 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 1:18 PM
Personal Page

Comments: 5

I have a 1985 18' Outrage. It has a forward in deck area that drains overboard when underway. It will fill with rainwater if you plug it and will have several inches in it if unplugged at rest.

The "bilge" is on the rear starboard side and will have small amounts of water at rest when no one is on board. Depending on placement of humans it can allow water to wash the deck at rest if 2 or more are in the stern.

Splash well area stays dry unless lots of weight is in stern at rest. All drain underway.

Mine is kept on lift so no plugs are used. Great all round boat.

Meant to mention the above as it will allow water to get to the tank area. Poor design there.

Edited by mtown on 07/05/16 - 1:19 PM

JRP
#5 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 1:56 PM

Comments: 2

Phil T wrote:
Both the Montauk and Outrage 18 are self bailing not self draining.

There are no Boston Whaler models that I know of that are completely dry.....

The final version of the classic Outrage 18, the 19 Outrage II, is self-draining. The deck on the 19 Outrage II is raised higher (above the waterline) compared to the Outrage 18, so any water on deck runs out the scuppers in the transom.

I would not be overly worried about this issue with an Outrage 18. The best apparoach is to have a mooring cover that will shed water over the sides and also keep the deck clean.

wspmatt
#6 Print Post
Posted on 07/05/16 - 10:21 PM
Personal Page

i have a 1989 20' Outrage....I am having problems with finding where the water that collects in the forward compartment and in front of console under the deck is supposed to flow..Does it have to be bilged out?

Also i have a ton of water in the starboard hole near the stern where the fuel lines run through...i'd llke to know how to get it unclogged

Edited by wspmatt on 07/05/16 - 10:27 PM

jcdawg83
#7 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/16 - 5:40 AM

Thanks for the responses. I may have to pass on the purchase of the 18. I am not comfortable with a design that allows water to get into the tank area, especially in salt water use and with the knowledge of tank rusting issues in classic Outrages I already have. I am surprised Whaler did not do a better design job. Most of their other design elements are well thought out.

My Montauk, if the plug is removed, will fill to a depth of about 6 inches in the stern and the water will come up on the deck almost to the console. Once under way, the water will drain out but the boat is somewhat unstable at rest with that amount of water in it. I know it won't sink, and that is reassuring, but the leave the plug out at the dock option isn't an ideal one.

JRP
#8 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/16 - 6:19 AM

Comments: 2

jcdawg83 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I may have to pass on the purchase of the 18. I am not comfortable with a design that allows water to get into the tank area, especially in salt water use and with the knowledge of tank rusting issues in classic Outrages I already have. I am surprised Whaler did not do a better design job. Most of their other design elements are well thought out.

My Montauk, if the plug is removed, will fill to a depth of about 6 inches in the stern and the water will come up on the deck almost to the console. Once under way, the water will drain out but the boat is somewhat unstable at rest with that amount of water in it. I know it won't sink, and that is reassuring, but the leave the plug out at the dock option isn't an ideal one.

If you like the size and capabilities of the Outrage 18, but want self-draining, then look for a 19 Outrage II model.

jcdawg83
#9 Print Post
Posted on 07/06/16 - 6:40 AM

I may do that. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you are aware, finding classic Whalers in decent condition is not a simple thing to do.

Acseatsri
#10 Print Post
Posted on 07/07/16 - 6:28 AM

Re water in the fuel tank cavity and corrosion- the life on these tanks is usually 20-25 years. Most tanks fail from the inside out, not corrosion on the outside of the tank but rather right where water and especially ethanol sits at the bottom rear of the tank and eats it from the inside out. If looking at an older whaler more than 2o years old, figure on replacing the tank somewhere in the near future and then you'll be set for another 20 years. A pressure test will show if a tank is leaking, but it won't detect a tank that is close to failure.

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
March 29, 2024 - 1:22 AM
Users Online
Welcome
93SL16MN
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 9
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 49,964
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,622
· Sport 13 1,354
· Outrage 18 549
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.22 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 82,706,688 unique visits