View Thread
Before Posting, Please Read Our Posting Guidelines Below.

1. Use the full 4 digit year for everything you are asking your question about. Example: 1962, 1988, 2000, 2011
2. Include the correct name of your Whaler model. Example: Montauk 17, Montauk 170, Outrage 26, Outrage 260
3. Include the length when necessary. Example: 16, 17, 18, 20, 22
4. Do not post your email address anywhere on this site as it is already in your user profile.

Print Thread
montauk 170 rail mounted rod holders (help)
surf204z
#1 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/16 - 5:18 PM

Comments: 0

Can anyone give some advice on where is the best place to mount rod holders on my 170's rails. I originally had two mounted on the aft section of the horizontal part of the rail. I was thinking of trying to mount them on the small vertical section of the rail most aft. These rod holders will be for trolling.

I'm realizing that rail mounted rod holders are far from perfect but was hoping to get some help. Any suggestions on brands or styles of rod holders will be helpful too. Thanks.

dauntless-n-miami
#2 Print Post
Posted on 07/01/16 - 8:24 PM
Personal Page
Project Albums

Hello surf204z, rail mounted rod holders can be an interesting dilema.

If you have a West Marine in your general area they offer their own brand which are manufactured quite well. They are Stainless Steel with a ratcheting "clam-shell" clamp design for 7/8 inch diameter tubing. The rod tube includes a black plastic protection sleeve with a perferrated base for drainage.

They are typically sold in pairs and when on sale they go for roughly $29 dollars and change (+ tax). Confirm your rail tubing diameter which should be 7/8 inch diameter.

One thing that I immediately notice during a boat launch after having installed the rod holders was, depending on the tide (if high) the rod holders would come into contact with the dock pylons or the actual dock. I had mounted them on the outside of my rails then, eventually I remounted them on the interior side of my rails and no more issues. Something to consider...

Hope this helps and Happy 4th,
Angel M.

1996 Dauntless 15, Sportsman Pkg. - 2007 Yamaha 90 HP 2-Stroke

mustang11
#3 Print Post
Posted on 07/02/16 - 5:55 AM
Personal Page

I have four of those rod holders mounted on my Montauk's rails. Two are vertical for storage and two are on 45 degree angles for trolling.

The angled ones bring the rod tips closer to the water and move the lines further from the boat allowing a greater area of coverage when trolling. I just use a bungie to make sure the rods stay seated.

I had originally had mine mounted on the horizontal rails but moved them to the vertical sections. I found during a fish strike or snag (even with the drag set properly) the leverage of the rod bending was enough to twist them downward toward the water. That problem was eliminated by mounting them on the vertical rail posts.

If you do mount them on an angle be aware of the clearance inside and out. You don't want the top contacting the dock as mentioned or the bottom sticking out into the boat where you can bump into it while moving around.

Happy 4th and happy fishing,
Brian

Jump to Forum:
Bookmark and Share
Today's Date & Time
April 24, 2024 - 6:00 PM
Users Online
Welcome
Silverbaywhaler70
as the newest member

· Guests Online: 16
· Members Online: 0
· Total Members: 50,020
Login
Username

Password

Remember Me

Not a member yet?
Click here to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one here.
Top 5 Models Posted
· Montauk 17 1,624
· Sport 13 1,358
· Outrage 18 550
· Nauset 16 396
· Sport 15 363

View all Models Here
Render time: 0.15 seconds Copyright WhalerCentral.com © 2003-2024 83,048,223 unique visits